what does a car sound like when it's out of gas? my radio still turns on but the engine won't even turn over..

what do you think is wrong?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

What does your gas gauge show? If it shows empty, then it probably is. I think you have another problem though, either your battery is bad, or your alternator is failing to keep the battery charged, or your starter solenoid or starter motor is bad.

• 1 decade ago

If it's out of gas, the engine will crank over normally, but it won't start. Trying to run the car out of gas is really bad for the fuel pump, so don't do it for more than a few seconds if you think you're out of gas.

If the engine won't turn over, that's most likely a bad battery. Car batteries only last 3-7 years, so if your car is that old, you might need a new car battery.

• 1 decade ago

if yourcars out of gas it wont make any sound but if it wont turn over put all your lights on then try the starter,if your lights go really dim you may need a new battery or the starter motor might be shorting,if these dont work get back to me as it gets more difficult if these tests fail.

• 1 decade ago

If it won't turn over you have a battery/starter issue not a gas issue, take your battery over to your local auto parts store and have it tested before you do anything else

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

it will sound like a grinding noise. if your radio works while the car is not running, then it is likely not your battery.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.