Do you say "buck naked" or "butt naked" when referring to someone's lack of attire?

Favorite Answer

I have always said "butt naked" but I have heard it said the other way as well. Whatever way it is said, the person is NAKED!!

Sandy :O)

I'll give you points for trying. Getting people to use the right term, at the right time, is an uphill battle, in R&S. Up until a fortnight ago, or so, I was pretty sure that my understanding, of some thirty years duration, of the word Persecute was pretty clear. Apparently, I don't know what I'm talking about, though. I mean, I've "been put right" on the issue. I now have a much clearer understanding of the meaning of the word. It is making it a little difficult for me to read my way through a history of WW2, though. Somehow, references to the Nazis poking fun at, and calling Jews names doesn't ring true. Still, what do historians know, anyway? Everyone knows that the beating heart of popular culture, and the crucible of the evolution of the English language lies right here.

Buck naked.

Buck naked is correct< it refers to a young buck (small boy) running free, as nature intended like a baby deer.

Butts are barrels used extensively for collecting rain water.

Or in America the blunt end of a gun.......or whatever!

• Loulla

Butt-naked. Or, I've even heard the term bare-naked.

It was originally "buck naked" I believe. I wish I knew why. Anyway I say both.

i say butt naked, but i think it is supposed to be buck naked

butt...never heard of buck naked

correctly it should be buck naked. but since it is a free country, say whatever you like

"Butt naked"...I am not familiar with the term "buck naked"

=)