Is it or is it not the responsibility of the government or the legal system to protect a citizen from himself?

Favorite Answer

They would like it to be.That creates jobs for there relatives and friends who cant get a real one because they let big business ship it out of the country.Just like the seatbelt law,Its because they care about you.Know its not its for the Money and dont think anything different because they could give 2 shits about you.You should probable be looking out for them,Oh thats how its suppose to work.

It is not. It is your own personal responsibility. If you say it is the governments role to tell you not do take drugs, or not to harm yourself that is socialism. The war on drugs is a proven failure and keeps the black market going strong.

As long as you do not harm others, what you do with yourself is your own responsibility and freedom of choice. You could essentially argue then that we need prohibition of alcohol, prohibition of tobacco and so forth. But then what of prescription drugs?

How about the government provides education so people can make their own decisions.

• Tara

No, it is not. We are supposed to be free, independent individuals. This means making our own choices and suffering their consequences (be they good or bad). When the government steps into a position of "so-called protector", citizens looses their individual rights and freedom.

if you are talking about suicide then there is a level of responsibility to proide assistance if there is a known threat or if the person in question seeks assistance. If no help is then provided then there is some fault on gov't organizations usually social services

It is not. Laws should protect people from others who want to do them harm, but not from themselves. That's why it's so horribly wrong to try to legislate morality. When a government starts trying to tell people what it thinks is best for them, it becomes oppressive and tyrannical.

It is not the governments responsibility.

No it is not, I don't need a babysitter. I will make my own decisions and my own mistakes. I don't need or want the government doing anything for "my own good".

If that person is likely to do something to himself that will end up costing the state, then yes, the state should step in beforehand and do whatever is possible, within reason, to prevent such action.

No, reponsibility belongs to the person.

it there that is why re hablitationcentre ,reform center are meant for .even prison is also to save him.

Source(s): self