Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleFashion & Accessories · 1 decade ago

What do fashion designers use math for?

Favorite Answer

Taking measurements (off model or manequin), making patterns, adjusting patterns, adding costs, figuring markup, placing orders...

Source(s): degree in fashion design

A lot more than you would think! I'm not a fashion designer but I do make a lot of my own clothes and if I weren't good at math none of my clothes would fit! I use it for measuring out people and fabric, figuring how much fabric to buy with less waste, adjusting patterns, figuring seam allowance, distance for buttons, zippers, snapes, and god only knows what else! I spend more time doing math than I do sewing on any given outfit! So if that is a career you're considering be sure to pay attention in math class! Good luck!

Math is all about problem solving using logic. It's about being able to find the only correct answer to a problem and not just a guess.. It's not about the math itself (a calculator can do that), but rather the problem solving practice you get from it.

Applying math to fashion design would come into play with geometry. Shapes, sizes, etc. are a big part of fashion design.

Lets us say that you have only five thousand dollars for a budget to put together a new line of clothes. You would have to figure out, based on your designs, what types of fabric you need, how many square feet you need of each type, and how much each type costs, all to figure out is you have enough money to make it or if you might have to use a cheaper fabric.

Also if you were into mass production you would need to know how many items could be made a day and how much labour would cost. A large part of fashion design is in the business and many designers never make it because they fail to understand the idea of a break-even cost.

And, of course, you would need how to do pattern-making, which would require a fair amount of geometry type math.

Fashion designers use math when they need to figure out how big to cut this piece of fabric, where to put the buttons on this jacket, how much fabric they should cut off so it will be the same length as the other sleeve, etc. There is tons of math that fashion designers use!

Fasion designers have to measure LOTTSSSSS of things! They have to measure body sizes, the material in which they want to use, and more! Like, if they need to make a certain sized waist, sleeves, etc. I would say when DONT they use math.

Hope this helps!

Good question.....hmmm...geometry for patterns....meausurements for seams and fabrics.....adding, subtracting, and dividing for sales, percentage for fabric components, the list goes on. Math is everywhere, yes, even fashion designers use it!

So that they can adjust patterns, design sum-m 4 a certain fit, or adjust da length/width, etc.

It's a little questionable, but I suppose they must use some symmetry for hair styles, make up, and to design clothes...

*to calculate yardage in the fabric needed.

*to calculate expenditures and profit

*to calculate mass marketing and projected income'

*to measure where to cut and how to make garments symmetrical/or not