Is Christopher Hitchens to Atheism, what Jerry Falwell was to Christians?

namely: pompous windbagosity?

Testing-why isn't my question showing up?

Favorite Answer

I haven't read Hitchens's latest book. I will say, that while I do share many of his beliefs on atheism, I don't agree with much of what he says in other arenas, and I often think he is grating jerk. But that is what I like about him - I can think he is an annoying loud mouth who should shut-up one minute, but the next minute he will make a point that is crystal clear and not immediately refutable. He seems to be what Bill O'Reilly pretends to be. An independent minded loud-mouth jerk.

I don't know if the Falwell comparison is accurate though. has Hitchens solicited money and used his status to change laws in the US to limit the rights and freedoms of certain groups? Hitchens may be a jerk, but is his bigotry and hate on par with Falwell? I could be wrong, but I don't think Hitchens is a Falwell level hate-mongerer.

Who would you rather be stuck with at a summer BBQ? I choose Hitchens, because at least when I disagree with him, he can support his claims with mountains of back up and and at least make a rational argument. I might learn something from him. But when Falwell is wrong, he has not a leg to stand on.