were can I download windows Installer package?

I have windows XP

I tried to download Java for Windows XP.

this is the info:

Java for Windows - Internet Explorer

Recommended Version 6 Update 1 (filesize: ~7.1MB)

Windows Vista, XP, 2000, and 2003 Server

WARNING Not the right operating system

( I HAVE WINDOWS XP...???? ). bought the disk at staples then installed it.

Error 1722. There is a problem with windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your suropport personnel or package vender.

then it showed "rolling back action" were ther green download bar actually reversed.

I had also tried to download yahoo messenger a few days ago but got a messege about the installer. something was wrong with it.

so now I am just looking for the installing to download fresh

MML...I checked the add/remove programs, Java is not there at all.

• MLM
    Favorite Answer

Take a look at this Microsoft page about troubleshooting Windows Installer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907749/en-us

After you get you WI issues resolved, see below regarding Java.

Problems can occur if you are running more than one version of Java as they can cause conflicts with each other. Furthermore, Java has a nasty habit of not removing older versions when updating to the newest so you have to uninstall old versions manually.

Assuming that you are in the Administrator account, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and uninstall everything that says J2SE, Java and Java Runtime. Reboot (some computers require a reboot to complete the uninstall process). Then go to the site below and download the most recent version of Java.

Afterwards, in IE, go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab and scroll down to the Java section and tickmark the "Use 1.6.1 (version changes with each update) for applet". Click Apply, Click OK and reboot (a reboot is required for some computers for the settings to stick).

http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

• SFC V

Microsoft.com

try lime wire