NOMEGA asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

need help to pronounce "rr" in spanish?

i am taking spanish class this summer. man, the rr sound is so hard to pronounce. i cant vibrate my tongue like spanish speaker. i cant find any video or picture that shows how to place my tongue. du vibrate the tip of your tongue, the middle part of your tongue, or the rear part of your tongue?

yea i can say the single r, like in english

yea but how to keep the tongue vibrate so long? like rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......

Favorite Answer

the tip

it may sound silly but try to make the sound of a car starting, that may help

Rr In Spanish

I would recommend a prrring sound when there are double r's. The double r sound, to me, seems to come more from the tip of your tongue and the single r more in the middle, kind of how you would pronounce it in English.

Try saying perro (dog), the double r separates the word into 2 syllables, and pero (but), one syllable. There is a big difference in how you pronounce those. Just be careful you don't roll your r too much.

Source(s): bilingual and my latino friends correct me all the time.

I had an employee teach me how to speak spanish, I could never get the 'r' down, so he went in my office, grabbed a pencil, and put it sideways in my mouth. You'd be suprized, but it actually helped. just lay your tounge over the top of the pencil and softly blow out, it'll get you used to the feeling of vibrating your tounge the way you need to to pronouce the 'r' correctly. (I'd suggest using a brand new pen though, or a chopstick... I doubt the pencil thing was very sanitary. =P)

Nelly is right: some people are physically unable to produce the sound. (While studying in Spain I met a guy who couldn´t even say his name because he couldn´t thrill the "r múltiple" vs. the "r simple" that you can do)

I can also do the simple R, and can replicate the hard R using my throat. Sometimes people don´t even know that I can´t thrill my R until I let them know it is being produced with my throat.

Just as long as the sound is replicated... who cares where it is being made. ;)

some ppl physically can't do it. If you need extra help ask your teacher. Sometimes I do it on accident. Try talking very fast in english. Like when your mad you know how you'll start talking fast. Like for me whenever i say what did i do i roll my tongue.

It goes right behind your teeth. And you sort of purr when you say your "R"'s.

yeah im spanish and i can barely do it, put the tip of your tounge on the roof of your mouth and blow air, not all of the tounge needs to roll jus a part of it is all you need, and it will sound the same.

Source(s): personal experience

When I talk in spanish and make the r sound, I put my tongue on the back of my front teeth to make the sound.

Like the R in "Race, rat, rock", not to difficult.