Good books to read aloud to 3,6,&8 year old?

We are going on vaca. and not taking a tv!! Any suggestions on great books that would hold a 8year old boy and a 3..almost 4 and 6 year old girl? We've read Charlie and Choc & Charlie and the Great Gass Elevator, Charlotte's Web, The Spiderwick series.... I think my oldest would love 'The Cay" and since we are at the beach..Maybe the Ramona the Pest Beverly Cleary series?? Whats new out there?

Thanks

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Wow, I'm very impressed that you've chosen to introduce such great chapter books to your children already. You're right on target with the Ramona books from Beverly Cleary. They're terrific! Here are some other classic chapter book suggestions you can read in the car or at bedtime. I caution you that some of the books I've offered here deal with themes that you may not wish to present to your children at this time. I will leave you to judge that, but it does not curb me from recommending these titles to you, as they remain great works of children's literature.

(In no particular order)

"Island of the Blue Dolphins" by Scott O'Dell

"Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" by Judy Blume

"Freckle Juice" by Judy Blume

"Mr. Popper's Penguins" by Richard and Florence Atwater

"James and the Giant Peach" by Roald Dahl

"The BFG" by Roald Dahl

"Sarah, Plain and Tall" by Patricia MacLachlan

"How to Eat Fried Worms" by Thomas Rockwell

"Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nihm" by Robert C. O'Brien

The Indian in the Cupboard" by Lynn Reid Banks

"The Boxcar Children" by Gertrude Chandler Warner

"Shiloh" by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

"Just So Stories" by Rudyard Kipling

"Phantom Tollboth" by Norton Juster

"Hatchet" by Gary Paulsen

"The Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis

"The Whipping Boy" by Sid Fleischman

"Old Yeller" by Fred Gipson

"Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls

"Summer of the Monkeys" by Wilson Rawls

"The Chocolate Touch" by Patrick Skene Catling

"Stuart Little" by E.B. White

"Ella Enchanted" by Gail Carson Levine

"The Great Brain" by John D. Fitzgerald

"Bunnicula" by Deborah and James Howe

"Stone Fox" by John Reynolds Gardiner

"Chocolate Fever" by Robert Kimmel Smith

Whew! That's but a short list of chapter books that I can come up with right now. There are plenty more that I'm forgetting. I omitted a couple of series that other people mentioned, too. Here are some contemporary (with a couple of exceptions) picture books that I don't want you to miss:

"The Long-Nosed Pig" by Keith Faulkner; ill. by Jonathan Lambert

"The Wide-Mouthed Frog" by Keith Faulkner; ill. by Jonathan Lambert

"Shark in the Park" by Nick Sharrat

"Bark, George" by Jules Feiffer

"T is for Terrible" by Peter McCarty

"Some Dogs Do" by Jez Alborough

"Duck in the Truck" by Jez Alborough

"Louella Mae, She's Run Away" by Karen Beaumont Alarcón; ill. by Rosanne Litzinger

"The Wolf's Chicken Stew" by Keiko Kasza

"Knuffle Bunny" by Mo Willems

"Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus" by Mo Willems

"Leonardo, the Terrible Monster" by Mo Willems

"Edwina, the Dinosaur that Didn't Know She Was Extinct" by Mo Willems

"Sheep in a Jeep" by Nancy Shaw; ill. by Margot Apple

"Caps for Sale" by Esphyr Slobodkina

"Millions of Cats" by Wanda Gag

"How Loud Is a Lion?" by Stella Blackstone; ill. by Clare Beaton

"Clickety Clack" by Robert & Amy Spence; ill. by Margaret Spengler

"One Red Dot" by David A. Carter

"Blue 2" by David A. Carter

"Arrowville" by Geefwee Bodoe

"Duck on a Bike" by David Shannon

"No, David!" by David Shannon

"Ella Sarah Get Dressed" by Margaret Chodos-Irvine

"The Wolves in the Walls" by Neil Gaiman

"Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type" by Doreen Cronin; ill. by Betsy Lewin

"How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?" by Jany Yolen; ill. by Mark Teague

"How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?" by Jany Yolen; ill. by Mark Teague

"How Does a Dinosaur Eat His Food?" by Jany Yolen; ill. by Mark Teague

"The Dot" by Peter H. Reynolds

"Ish" by Peter H. Reynolds

"Someday" by Alison McGhee; ill. by Peter H. Reynolds

"The Spider and the Fly" by Mary Howitt; ill. by Tony DiTerlizzi

"Imogene's Antlers" by David Small

"Un Gato y un Perro" by Clare Masurel

"Bear Snores On" by Karma Wilson; ill. by Jane Chapman

"Nana Upstairs & Nana Downstairs" by Tomie dePaola

I've read the above picture books numerous times with great cheer (and some tears) from many audiences. Click on my profile and e-mail me. I would be happy to correspond with you and make further suggestions. I'd also encourage to stop by your local library and chat with the children's librarians there to get their recommendations. Finally, I'd suggest you find a copy of Jim Trelease's "The Read Aloud Handbook." http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/........ It's an invaluable resource for parents. Another good source of information is "Parent's Guide to the Best Books for Children," published by The New York Times and edited by Eden Ross Lipson. Thank you for your wonderful question. My faith in humanity (well, a small part of it) is always renewed when I read questions like this. If I could only convince 150 Million other parents in the United States to do the same as you....

Source(s): I am an elementary school librarian and a reader for the Denver Public Library, the Children's Museum of Denver, and Community Resources Inc.
  • acuna
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Best Books For 3 Year Old

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

FOR YOUR 3 YEAR OLD:

Dr. Seuss

Beatrix Potter books (The Tale of Mrs. Tittlemouse, etc.)

Shel Silverstein

Picture books

FOR YOUR 6 and 8 YEAR OLD:

Junie B. Jones

Magic Treehouse Series

Charlotte's Web

Beverly Cleary series

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I teach first grade and they LOVE the Junie B Jones series. I highly recommend it. They have a few pictures so they would still hold the little ones attention. If not let them draw pictures to go with the story. We read a chapter everyday upon dismissal (takes about 5 minutes). I usually let them start packing up about 10 minutes before we have to go so we can read the chapter, if it gets to 8 minutes til they start getting antsy so they can hear the next chapter. I NEVER have students running for the door anymore.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What about the Little House series? They're not new, but they're great books and timeless. And they're not just about girlie stuff, but about families in the pioneer days. and depending upon where you are travelling, you may be able to relate some of what you see to what the Ingals family went through. Have a great vacation!

• Teri
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awKlD

I think you should read the Fudge series by Judy Blume, starting with "Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing." It's great. I read it to my kids and they loved it. I still catch my son reading them and he's 14. Another really great story is The Cricket in Times Square!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

My mom always read "Hank the Cowdog" to us, because we were a wide variety of ages when we went on vacation (my brothers were 17, 14, 12, and I was 7) and those were hilarious--there were little catches that the older ones could get, and they were simple enough for me to understand! I highly recommend those.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

8 year old : Junnie B. Jones books, A to Z mystery books, Stewart Little, Box Car Children, Hardy Boys

6 year old: Junnie B. Jones, American Girl books, Babysitters club books

3 year old: If you give a mouse a cookie/ moose a muffin

Try books on tape also!

• 1 decade ago

Good books you may want to consider to hold their attention might be Dr. Seuss. They have a rhyme scheme and a "moral of the story". They are make-belive such as names and places, but are real and can be applied to everyday life.

• 4 years ago

It's probable to invest a lot of time and money looking for approaches to teach your children how to see and boost their reading skills. Is hard to teach a small child how to read, and even enticing them to read is a challenge in itself. Nonetheless it does not need to be this way because you got the aid of the program https://tr.im/D8ahH , Children Learning Reading program.

With Children Learning Reading you will train your son or daughter how to separate your lives sounds and break words into phonemes, an essential thing when your child is simply learning how to spell.

The examining system from Children Learning Reading program makes it simple for kids to read quickly and precisely, from easy phrases to phrases till they learn to see stories.

• 3 years ago

while reading a book, you're stimulating your brain. You improve your literacy and reading skills so you in the process, are more literate. Even with today's modern technology, you nevertheless still need to be able to read.

While watching t.v. can be good fun, it is not doing anything to the human brain.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.