Is dying your hair bad when your pregnant?

Best Answer

From the American Pregnancy Association website:

Are hair treatment chemicals dangerous during pregnancy?

Manufacturers frequently change formulas and many different chemicals are used in these processes. These chemicals are not generally evaluated for effects on pregnancy so limited data on use during pregnancy is available.

It is likely that only a small amount of any hair treatment chemicals are actually absorbed into a woman’s system through her skin. This minimal amount is not thought to be enough to create a problem for the baby. The fixation solution used during permanents may irritate the scalp but not affect other areas of the body and a minimal amount would be absorbed. The same would be true of chemicals used in the straightening process.

Are hair dyes safe during pregnancy?

According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), hair dyes are probably safe to use during pregnancy because so little dye is absorbed through the skin. However, it is still important to be cautious, therefore many health care providers recommend that pregnant women not use permanent hair dyes during the first three months.

While the absorption through the skin is minimal, there that concern is that breathing fumes during the process could be harmful to the developing baby. Permanent hair dyes contain ammonia which has a strong chemical fume. The recommendation is to avoid hair dyes that contain ammonia. The chemical fume warning also applies to straightening products as well.

Semi-permanent dyes or a highlighting process may be considered safer for pregnant women. With highlights, the dye is enclosed in foil and won’t be absorbed into the skin. Vegetable dyes such as henna are also considered likely to be safe for coloring hair during pregnancy.

What precautions should I take when chemically treating my hair?

The following safety tips should be followed when chemically treating your hair:

Consider waiting until the second trimester for hair dye, bleaching, permanents or straightening.

Have the treatment completed in a well-ventilated area.

Don’t leave the chemicals on your head any longer than necessary.

Rinse your scalp thoroughly with water after treatment.

Wear gloves when applying chemicals.

Carefully follow directions on the product package.

Do a patch test for allergic reactions before completing the process

Never dye or bleach eyebrows or eyelashes. This could cause swelling or increase risk of infection in the eye area

• fenn

there's no evidence that loss of existence your hair on a similar time as pregnant has any damaging result on the toddler. in many situations, once you bypass get your hair carried out, the hair fabric cabinet won't get the dye on your scalp. consequently, you're actually not getting any of the chemical compounds on your physique. I constantly think of greater suitable secure than sorry. i haven't dyed my hair on condition that in the previous I have been given pregnant with my first son, he's exceptionally much 2, and that i've got saved fairly some money

I have 3 kids. My doctor said dye and perms were ok, so I thought nothing of it when I got a perm, early in my second trimester with my son. He was born with a bowel problem. We almost lost him that first week! We were told at 1 week that it was 50/50% if he would live through surgery. If he did, he may have to have a bag at all times to use his bowels. It was really bad! Lots of prayers later, our now 7 year old is healthy and the only sign is a scar across his belly! Thank God!!!!! I cannot say the perm caused it, because the doctors said no one yet knew the cause. But I cannot help but wonder! With our next child, #3, I waited til I was about 37 weeks to get that perm! For me, I would rather wait and not take the chance! Good luck whatever you decide!

Source(s): Mom of 3 (9, 7 & 2)

My doctor told me it was okay after the first trimester. You should be in a well ventilated area and make sure to let who ever is doing the dying know that you're pregnant.

My prenatal doctor told me it was no problem, she recommended me waiting until after my first trimester, and to make sure it is a well-ventilated area. There are NO PROVEN effects that dying your hair has on the baby, just myths or "theory's". Perfectly safe if well ventilated and after the first trimester!

Good luck to you!!!

Toni Lynne ;)

Source(s): My prenatal doctor who has been working in my valley for over 20 years.

I've heard that it's ok to dye your hair after the first trimester.

Just as much as smoking is. But I've seen several pregnant women do this over teh years. Thank goodness the babies are ok - or at least they appear ok.

So, ask your OB doc and follow the advice.

Monica - who is going to read all of that?

• its okay to dye your hair, the only thing is your hormones may alter the color. may be alittle different..

Well my doctor says no..and it sucks cause I need to soooo bad!

idk but r u pregnant?