Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What does the term "pro-family" mean, in regards to politics?

Does it mean supporting only the idea of "traditional" families? Or does it mean recognizing and supporting all types of families?

For example, would a person who voted in favor of same-sex unions be considered pro-family, as they recognize and support all families, not just the ones that look like their own?

• Favorite Answer

It means "against homosexuality, against the right to choose, against change".

Absolutely nothing. It's a catch-phrase void of substance politicians like to use to promote their agenda regardless of what it may be. Who isn't 'pro-family' except for maybe Ted Bundy or Jeffery Dahmer?

It's just like environmentalism. Who is against the environment? Only a psychotic criminal would want to destroy the environment. It's just pinned on big companies because it's the trendy thing to do. Big companies have no interest in destroying natural resources after all it's by exploiting those resources that they make their money. They'd go out of business if they destroyed the environment.

I think it sums up the whole group of people who think that family and medical choices should be determined by the state rather than the individual. That is not to say for example that they will not allow gay people to be gay ( although it wouldn’t shock me to see them change that tune sooner or later). It just means that you are only free and equal only IF you meet their ideal make up of what is now termed "pro-family". In other words If you happen to be a Conservative willing to and endorse only marriage to someone of the opposite sex, who is also against abortion of any kind. Being "pro-family" in the republican party means you have the right to claim that you are "free"

It has two meanings 1) for the family, 2) after family/ pro means now are after the union of something. so! pro -family is the togetherness of now, and the togetherness after. And yes! they would be considered because! they are for in agreement with other families.

Nothing, its just an empty word people throw around to make people think they support something good for the family. It's just like pro-children or pro-education. Everyone supports the family and would consider themselves pro-family.

"What does the term "pro-family" mean, in regards to politics?" - I thought it meant tax breaks and help for families over single people.

But your right I don't know if it's "traditional" over all types. Also does the individual follow party lines or think for themselves.

Sorry, I'm too naive to know. Too cynical to believe money doesn't talk in politics, or that after election anyone cares what we think.

I do check individual strengths to stick to personal guns, not buckle to party line.

Mostly Traditional families.

• BOOM

When I hear that term it's usually out of the mouth of a politician saying whatever he or she thinks needs to be said to get elected. More often than not, it's a Republican.

I don't think any of these clowns are really pro-family in any regard.

Your first guess would be correct. "Pro-family" politically means that you stand for traditional families; one man marries one woman. They have kid/s. That's how it works. Someone who is politically pro-family is also tradiditionally pro-life. I don't see what the problem is with that......? Everyone needs to cut it with the insults. If you're just gonna offer your opinion and not answers, cut back on the amount of questions you answer. Please.

*God bless (and I hope that this helped at least somewhat!)

It's political code for bigotry against non-traditional families.

Pro-family means intolerance. They want to force other families to live under the "values" of their own family.

I effing hate the term "values" as it relates to politics.