jessica k asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How do I keep my dog out of the trash?

Everytime I leave the house I come back to trash all over my house what can I do to prevent this. I have tried to put the trash on the counter so he doesnt get into it but he knocks it off and gets into it, I am really getting tired of this.

Best Answer

You have to put it behind a closed door. That is the only way. Dogs are natural scavengers and a trash can full of tasty goodies is FAR too irresistible. Prevention is always the best policy.

What we do is supervise new dogs very closely. They are confined to our area which includes the kitchen with a baby gate. When they investigate the trash they get an "EH!" and brought back into the den and given a toy. We basically teach them to leave the trash can alone. Even after we trust them enough to leave them alone I always take the trash out. No need to tempt the innocent! :-)

If ur trash can doesn't fit under the sink where u can keep the cabinet doors closed, or if the dog can open the cabinet doors, keep the trash behind a walk thru door that u can keep closed. No place to secure the trashcan? Generously spray vinegar or LIGHTLY Sprinkle tobasco sauce on your scrapings b4 putting into trash & leave plenty of water out for your dog to drink! A week of nasty tasting garbage should cure the problem & vinegar keeps fleas off ur dog!

No need to hide the can. Spray vinegar in and around the can...He won't touch it. Along with the spray, put a small amount in a open container so that it doesn't evaporate over the day. I would be very interested in how this is working. Let us know please. he will soon get accustomed to the fact that garbage has a really bad smell.

Set a trap and watch him...he won't like it.

Crackofdawn has no idea what she's talking about. Dogs don't have the ability to think that way. Sheeeshhhh!

Who is smarter, you or the dog?

If putting the trash on the counter doesn't work, put it somewhere else, like inside a locked cabinet, in the garage, etc.

Most child proof houses are dog proof and vice versa.

You can't train a situation you can't control. If you're gone, you can't control the situation.

Put your trash where your dog cant get it.

god i cant believe some of these answers lmao. yeah, some animals get into the trash for the munchies, but most of the time they do it cuz they know they will get attention when you get home. whether its good or bad attention. so try giving your dog more attention without spoiling him when you are home.

Make sure you take the trash out. Don't leave anything there he may smell...How often do you feed him?

try spraying it with bleach water. the trash not the dog

how old is he?????