R H asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

Where can I buy bulk (gallon or larger) vinegar with an 8% acidity or above.?

The normal vinegar you buy at the grocery store is between 4-6% acidity content. I've tried all the obvious places from wholesale food suppliers to restaurant suppliers and found nothing. Please send suggestions.

Favorite Answer

Here is some information on where to find vinegar with 8% and higher acidity content from the Gardens Alive web site:

Garden-Ville sells “20% horticultural vinegar” in stores in the San Antonio and Austin areas, and via mail order. A new entry to the market (new to ME, anyway), Bradfield Organics in Springfield, MO markets an OMRI listed/organic approved 20% horticultural vinegar with a yucca-based surfactant. Rodhe’s in Garland, Texas no longer carries their 20% vinegar; they now offer a grain-based 8% acidity vinegar—still under the original Greensense label.

Charlie Goodman, Quality Systems Manager for ‘Mizkan Americas’, one of the largest vinegar makers in the US, explains that there are essentially four types of “acetic acid” and/or vinegar (the terms are often used interchangeably). One is synthetically derived (the photographic field uses a lot of acetic acid in film developing formulas and the like); and three are brewed from natural ingredients: “White distilled vinegar” is made from grain and ranges in acidity from 13 to 15% at the time of manufacture; wine vinegar’s natural acidity is 10 to 12%, and cider vinegar comes out of the keg at 6 to 7%. Water is added to make table strength (generally 5%) vinegars, or they’re concentrated to make things like the 20% variety.

Until a few years ago 8% acidity vinegar was easily obtained in the USA. It was a common ingredient in natural herbicides. It's difficult to find now as you've discovered. German food markets carry a 25% acidity vinegar. It is a white, distilled vinegar. The one I find locally is under the SURIG label. 8% acidity vinegar is still used as a horse supplement to aid digestion - so that might be an avenue to explore. As you probably know, vinegar is ascetic acid that has been diluted with water. Photographers use diluted ascetic acid as a "stop bath" in B&W film development. As I remember from my days of hobby photography, it was labeled as "Glacial Ascetic Acid" and came in 2 strengths - 24% and 48% if memory serves. I don't know if it is considered as food-grade. So that also may be a fruitfull route to pursue.

• sohel

Vinegar In Bulk

Your best bet is a chemical supply house. You "may" get vinegar that strong, but you will probably have to ask for acetic acid...

Ron.

• Rachel

I have a Sam's card, but I think they only sell lube in 50 gallon tubs. They get great business from the porn industry.

Try an orchard that bottles raw apple juice.

This is an interesting question, and one that has intrigued me for quite a while.

online!

i dont know.