Do children belong in upscale restaurants in the evenings?

6 of us were dining in a nice upscale, moderately expenisive restaurant last Saturday nite. We were seating at 9, a family with 2 kids seated near us 15 minutes later. Our conversation was not loud, but we didn't whisper either. We were talking about our friend who couldn't get "la1ded" and... show more 6 of us were dining in a nice upscale, moderately expenisive restaurant last Saturday nite. We were seating at 9, a family with 2 kids seated near us 15 minutes later. Our conversation was not loud, but we didn't whisper either. We were talking about our friend who couldn't get "la1ded" and other adult things.. like who's dating who. etc.
The father of the 2 kids boldly asked up to keep our conversatoin "less adult". because he had kids (it's now 10pm). I told him that we had a right to whatever conversation we wanted.. we didn't use crass or dirty words and were'nt' descriptive. He' was clearly annoyed. Conversation at the next table was about someones apparent boob jobs.. The man was livid.

Isn't there a time and place were kids just DON'T belong. It's 10pm Saturday nite. Our bill came to nearly $1000, I would hope that we could talk about anything we wanted without being PC. We weren't being rude or loud, and management never stepped in.
Am I wrong.