Does the late Kansas City Chief Derrick Thomas #58 Deserve to be in the NFL Hall of Fame?

Best Answer

Absolutely, Derrick Thomas was the type of player that could turn an entire game around for his team. This is very rare in the NFL.

-7 sacks in ONE game (NFL record)

-126.5 Career Sacks (Chiefs record)

-1 of 22 players in NFL history to get 100 or more sacks

-45 Forced Fumbles* (Chiefs record)

-19 Fumble recoveries, 1 INT, 4 TD's

-649 Career Tackles

Thomas was also a great man off the field. He did a lot to help children. I heard a story about how he often used to go around the Chief's locker room asking his teammates for $100 each, to raise money for various charities.

My heart wants to say yes, but I have to say no. He was a great sack artist, true, but he was also just too much of a one dimensional player. There's no question that opposing teams repeatedly exploited him in the run game. Maybe if he had played longer and gotten the all-time sack record, but he never got the chance.

It's too bad, too. This guy did amazing community work off the field. He certainly had the character for the Hall.

• John H

He was a great player. Nobody can take that away from him. However, football players are judged over the span of many years to be in the Hall of Fame. Even Jim Brown played for 9 years. Based on this criteria, I reluctantly say, "no".

Yes sir. One of the all time great pass rushers, including 7 in one game which is still a record. If he hadn't died, he would have definitely gotten into the HOF. He deserves to be in there now.

Yes he does. Take it from a Charger fan. We know Derrick Thomas.

Yes he does. He was top notch during his years, too sad for his decease. He sacked Elway when Elway was too mobile. He was the next Lawrence Taylor. He was the best KC Chief and the one to look out for.

He should've been inducted a long time ago. I'm surprised that he was inducted 8 1/2 years after he died. He definitely deserves it stat-wise (642 tackles, 126.5 sacks in his career).

I say yes. He was a top 5 blitzing LB. I mean he sacked John Elway like 7 times in One, ONE!, game. He had everything you look for in a LB and his career and life were cut short, and it sucks, who knows what great things he could have done.

I would have to say yes. He was a great player and a good man off the field as well. His only flaw was where he played college football.

yes he does deserve to be in the HOF!!! No question about it! He could change a game with one rush and did a few times...DT58 forever.