Wat happened to the hard hits?

Rember the good ol' days in the nfl?the 70s-80s?Back then u could hit as hard as u wanted.But know u get a flag.4 wat?playing the game right?It anin't dance class.And come on.Wats football without hard hits?It's the name of the game.

• cwomo
    Favorite Answer

I guess it was when a lot of them started wearing skirts. I go all the way back to the 50's and those guys for the most part didn't even wear facemasks! They didn't become mandatory until about 60. And in the 70s and early 80s you had to love those Steelers - Raiders games. Those guys would have used clubs, guns and knives if the rules had let them. I can buy some of the change such as protecting a guy when he is in a vulnerable position, or the helmet to helmet hits but a lot of the other stuff - get serious - football was made to be rough and not a flag parade.

A lot people don't know or don't understand what happened. That is why they all say Peyton Manning is better than Archie Manning, which to me is debatable. If Peyton did all his crap he does now and QB'd back when there was no 10 yard bump rule and no in the grasp rule.... Peyton would be in a wheel chair. People would kick Peyton's butt just because he audiblized too much.

The younger football fans don't understand there were no individual sacks back then, it was hold the QB up while we all get a hit on him.

I'm not saying the players are not better or more athletic nowadays because they are. And I like the scoring and athletes of todays game. But imagine Jerry Rice going back in the 70's tyring to get free on a pass route with Mel Blount chucking and stiff arming him for 15 yards then Mike Wagner or Jack Lambert cleaning him out across the middle with no penalty?

Rule changes happened though to open up the scoring. Had to happen for the game to become what it is now.

You're right the old days is were is was at. Now those in charge realize that tackling a certain way will injure both people in the long run and are trying to cover thier asses from law suits. Just look at how the QB is basically untouchable nowadays. And WR too. That being said it's still the best sport and it does have its moments when someone gets smashed

i agree, especially when it comes to the qb. if he's even touched it seems its a penalty unless the ball is in his hand. and the 'running into the kicker' penalty needs to go too. they sit on the sidelines 98% of the plays then if someone bumps them they flop like a fish, then get up and celebrate when the flag is thrown. the only illegal hits to me are the helmet first blindsided shots, and chop blocking at the knees. because the defender should know better in those situations and it can cause injury. but anything else should be fair game to me.

You have been protecting your self from a brutal attack. Your dad had a hammer, this is a deadly weapon. you probably did what you had to do. don't experience undesirable for this, you probably did not something incorrect . have been you meant to place there and allow him smack you around with a hammer? No. Your dad desires some severe help after this, drugs or not, he won't be able to manage his infant this way.you will not get into worry, yet I do understand you feeling guilt. merely undergo in techniques, a scratch on a vehicle is fixable, this is not something to ever attack yet another person, extremely your infant, with a weapon. i'm so sorry which you're dealing with this, i fairly am. Your mom needs to get you counseling and he desires it too. you won't be able to be in this atmosphere.

I don't know, Steelers manage to still hit pretty hard. Where are those guys that got hit hard in the old days anyway? Fighting for healthcare.

Yeah...back when you played for 13 years and could barely walk after retirement...back to the multiple-concussion games...(thats sarcasm). There are still plenty of good, hard, CLEAN hits.

well because someof those hits causedserious injuries like that patriot wr diedearly this year from being paralyzed from the hit in the preseason from that raider safty

WELL, SINCE THE BRONCOS BARELY GET ANY COVERAGE BESIDES IN DENVER, I THINK, NO ONE EVER GETS TO SEE JOHN LYNCH LAY OUT PEOPLE

yes, but i still hit HARD home runs ALL the time.