Anonymous asked in Local BusinessesOther - Local Businesses · 1 decade ago

what requirements do I need in FL for a tattoo business?

What legal requirements do I need to meet to start a tattoo business in Florida? Could I operate from home? What do I need to do? Licsensing? Certificates? fees? Permits?

1 Answer

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Tattooing & Permanent Makeup

    Biomedical Waste program, licensure and permitting, State of Florida, Department of Health

    Business Issues

    As required in section 877.04, Florida StatutesOpens in a new window., any person who tattoos or applies permanent make-up must either be licensed as, or work under the "general supervision" as defined in Chapter 64B8-2.002, Florida Administrative Code (14K PDF) Opens in a new window.of, a Medical Doctor, a Doctor of Osteopathy, a Doctor of Dental Surgery, or a Doctor of Medical Dentistry.

    The Florida Department of Health has no authority to issue a license to either tattoo or permanent make-up artists or their place of business. However, a county or municipal license, such as an occupational license, may be required depending on the geographical location of the business.

    The Florida Department of Health does have authority to issue a biomedical waste generator permit to tattoo and permanent make-up artists at the location of their business. Information on the biomedical waste permit process may be obtained from the biomedical waste coordinator who has the regulatory responsibility in the county where the business is located. An application for a biomedical waste generator permit (Form DH 4089 (11K PDF))Opens in a new window. can be downloaded from the biomedical waste website.


    Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing. General questions concerning tattooing or permanent make-up in Florida can be directed via e-mail to Gina Vallone-Hood or Ed Golding, in the Bureau of Community Environmental Health, HSEC, 4052 Bald Cypress Way, BIN A08, Tallahassee, Florida, 32399-1710. Ms. Vallone-Hood and Dr. Golding can be reached by telephone at (850) 245-4277.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.