What 'r the best places to see in California?

Favorite Answer

What a question. CA has almost every climate and landscape that exists. From where I live in Orange County, I could do these activities in one day (if I hustled): surf in the ocean, water ski a lake, snow ski, take a desert hike.

If you want natural sights, here are some...

Sequoia National Park, Yosemite, Anza Borrego Desert, Death Valley, Big Sur (the entire scenic route 1), Colorado River, Monterey Peninsula, Redwood National Forest, Mammoth (if you hike in high enough from there ...year round glaciers and snow at 11,000') Lake Tahoe, Winery regions are in several areas all over CA , not just the most famous like Napa, Sonoma, Mendecino, etc but also near Santa Barbara, Escondido (NE San Diego County) and elsewhere.

Get a CA vacation guide from the Auto Club, visit tourism sites online.

Better have lots of time if you want to see a lot. This state is Huge.

Think about Amtrak, they go to a lot of cool places and its fun. rent a car at your destination....go to neighborhood agencies (not airport) Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, Budget and negotiate. Ask for a better price or a free upgrade. Don't pay more than $35 per day (even less by the week) and buy the LDW (loss damage waiver, worth it), even though your credit card or insurance covers; it's a paperwork nightmare. Zero hassle if have LDW.

In my opinion, virtually EVERYWHERE. (but, being a California native, I AM somewhat biased)

Some suggestions: The whole city of San Francisco (it is one of the most picturesque towns in the world. Find a tourist guide, online) Yosemite State Park. (Ansel Adams loved it and so will you) Death Valley National Monument (stark and yet so photogenic. Plan for at least two or three days there) The Sierra Nevada mountains (as rugged as it gets in this state) The coastline of Northern California (that part North of San Fancisco) Napa Valley, Canoeing on the Russian River, Lake Taho, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (great site for taking pictures of surfers, in action) Montery Bay Aquarium, Pacific Grove, (especially 17 mile drive) Solvang ...

I'm out of breath. Stay off of the main highways whenever possible, and be adventurous.

San Francisco, Yosemite National Park, Big Sur, Monterey Peninsular (Monterey, Pacific Grove, Pebble Beach, Carmel), 17-mile Drive

Disneyland :) Yosemite National Park... the beaches.... the hollywood walk of fame......Catalina Islands...The mountains.. The rivers and lakes

Sonoma and the Napa Valley:-)