Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

do spiders have bones ?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

um, i dont think so.... but dont they have an exoskeleton like other (certain) bugs do? but, well, i mean they MUST, right?

ok ,it must be pretty clear that i have no idea.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Spiders have exoskeletons:

"A hard shell called an exoskeleton covers the entire body of a spider. The exoskeleton is made of cuticle, a material composed of a combination of protein and tough fibers called chitin. The cuticle forms thin layers stacked on top of one another, an arrangement that improves the strength and elasticity of the exoskeleton. The spider’s cuticle provides attachment sites for many muscles, and it also prevents desiccation (loss of body water). The cephalothorax cuticle is strong and stiff, while the cuticle of the abdomen is soft and extensible. As a spider grows, it sheds or molts its exoskeleton and grows a new one to cover its larger body."

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Yes and no. They have an exoskelleton to keep their limbs and bodies rigid like mamals have a skeleton, so it is like they have bones. However their exoskeletons are not made of the same stuff as our bones. The rigid parts of an insect aren't made of bone, but are made of Chitin, a polymer of sugars. Being a polymer makes it a lot like a form of natural plastic. The weight and flexibility of chitin over bone gives the spider some advantages.

• joe b
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

yes, spiders have an external cuticle-like skeleton called exoskeleton, meaning skeleton outside. It encloses the body cavity filled with blood. The blood and the cuticle-like skeleton are responsible for maintaining the spider's shape.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

spiders don't have bones, the shell serves as the body's skeleton. Because the skeleton is outside the body, it's called an exoskeleton ("exo-" means "outside.")

• 1 decade ago

No, I don't believe so. This is a very good question. Makes me think ~ even though I'm not to crazy about spiders! It's interestion. Thank you.

• 1 decade ago

No. Spiders have an exoskeleton with the musculature encased within.

• 1 decade ago

Spiders are invertebrates.

here is some info on them

• 1 decade ago

They have an exoskeleton, which means their "bones" are on the outside, pretty much.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

LOL "Exoskeleton" Did you not pay attention in middle school science class?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.