Lex asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 decade ago

Help! Like Help! Vacuum Help!?

Ok, my room flooded, im thinking to use my normal vacuum's suction tube to suck up some of the water. I mean, can you do that? Or will it spark, catch fire, cut off all power to the house and ultimately kill my entire family?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

don't do that. You need a shop vac and towels, (I know from experience), or hire a professional.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Better use a wet/dry vac (i.e. Shop Vac) for that job. A regular vacuum cleaner at best will suck up the water into a paper bag, that will subsequently leak and short out the vacuum motor. If you're lucky, the only thing that would happen is the vacuum motor gets fried and the circuit breaker is thrown. Worst case, you die a horrible death from electrocution.

• 1 decade ago

NO don't use your normal vacuum. You will still have a flooded room and a broken vacuum. Try and find someone with a shop vac. Good luck.

• 1 decade ago

Should've worn a diaper, man. HA!

Ok, seriously though, don't use a normal vacuum for that kind of job--they're not designed to pick up large amounts of liquid, and they will indeed short out. You need a wet/dry vac to suck up a lot of water. If you don't have one, and there isn't a Rent-All in your area, you'll have to do it the old fashioned way: Sop it up with towels, wring 'em out in the tub.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Dont do it! Get a rainbow machine or other water vacuum. You need a cleaner when done getting all the water up so it does not mold and ruin the carpet or wood flooring.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Nooo do not use a regular vacuum. You need a shop vac that will accept dry or wet stuff.

• 1 decade ago

As the robot on Lost in Space says: "DANGER! DANGER Will Robinson. Most definitely no. It will ruin the vacuum... but most importantly, you put yourself in harms way.

Go buy a Shop Vac.

• 1 decade ago

Yeh, um dont do that. You need a special vaccum for that, one that is suitable for use in water. If your not sure lookf up the model online. If your place is carpeted, it will be almost impossible to get the damp smell out (we have a flooring business).

• 1 decade ago

do NOT use a regular vacuum

find one designed to suck up water - wet/dry vac

• Dew
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

well it is not safe at all.You need to see if some one has a wet vac you can use or even a shampooer would work ,you could at least suck some of the water up.You can rent a shampooer for chip at your local store,

• Cara
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

NO! you cant use a regular vacuum.

Use a shop vac, they specialize in things like that.

You can get electrocuted and could start a fire.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.