What is causing my refrigerator to run but not cool?

My refrigerator is running but not cold. We vaccumed the coils but still no luck. I am off to check the relay compressor now. Any ideas what it may be if the compressor is fine?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

One thing to check... Does your refrigerator have a condenser fan motor? This is a cooling fan located down by the compressor... If so is that running? If the compressor is not running most likely you have a bad relay, or a stuck compressor...but if the compressor is running, and all the fans are running and it still doesn't cool, then most likely you may have a leak in the sealed system... better call a service tech for that one... You can rule out a thermostat cause if that was bad then nothing would work... and if you do have a leak you need to get it repaired first.... refrigerators are not supposed to leak out freon like the other guy said...

Source(s): 20 yrs appliance tech
  • 1 decade ago

The same thing happened to me twice; once last year and once this year. It wasn't a freon problem, but there was frozen ice in the freezer plugging up the openings from the freezer to the refrigerator. So I had to remove the plastic piece at the bottom of the freezer and use a blow dryer and ice pick to get rid of the ice.

Check in your refrigerator at the top where the two openings are. Stick your hand in them to see if there's ice in them. It's safe to do. If they are frozen, you have to do what I explained above. If not, then it's probably the freon.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if the coils are fine and your unit runs continuous, only one of 2 problems are existing. The thermostate is not working, or you developed a leak. If it is a leak, eventually the compressor will overheat and burn out.

• 1 decade ago

Years ago when my newer fridge quit, the repairman said they usually quit due to the owner not vacuuming the coils, so get in there and vacuum. I think I will too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Most likely you have to refill the gas circuit. It's normal to run out of gas after a while, but make it check for leaks also.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Dont walk, but run, straight to http://appliancequickfix.com/

for an easy overview of how you check your fridge.

• 1 decade ago

It needs to be recharged with coolant probably.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It may need freon.........

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.