Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Judo Moves vs Wrestling Moves?

I do not understand Judo moves? Can you go for their legs like in wrestling? Why would you stand up rather than be bent?

Thanks, and please tell me how I can get better, I have only started judo one day.

Thanks.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's about control, method, technique, and movement type. there're two distinctly different sets of takedowns, one practiced by Judo and one by Wrestling (with a few crossovers between the two).

Judo uses the "moment of equilibrium" or breaking posture method for most of their throws. This means that you will work for grips, then utilize one of many throws that uses the grips you've got to break the balance and equilibrium of the opponent. This can be seen in the various hip throws employed in the sport. For instance, a judoka will get a grip behind the triceps with left hand, step in with right foot to center of opponent's balance, dropping hips as he goes, then turn his right hip in and throw his right arm underneath the gripped arm of opponent, lifting his hips (and the opponent's at the same time) and bending forward to throw them over the hip and shoulder. The balance is broken as the arm shoots upwards, lifting under the opponent's own arm, and the hips are forced upwards, breaking friction with the mat, the wide base of the opponent, and their balance and causing momentum up and then forward with pulling motion. Nearly every throw in judo is based on this concept: your hips lower than theirs, your center of balance invades theirs, your torque, pull, or push gives momentum to their uprooted body. The few techniques that do not are generally based on dropping, like Seoi-nage, where your grip is more important aspect, since you'll pull them down and foward, with your center of gravity much lower than theirs.

Wrestling utilizes a multitude of techniques based on a combination of three principles: underhooks, overhooks, leg captures. As a wrestler, the strongest position to throw from is one where you control both legs or the torso, the opponent has no defense, and your hips are lower than your opponents. The back suplex, double leg takedown and double underhook positions illustrate this technique in varying degrees, with the suplex being the most indefensable, to the double underhook being the least favorable double control position. Now, that being said, there are also neutral positions and reversal positions. A common neutral spoition is the over-underhook, where you have one arm underhooked and one overhooked. Both opponent's have roughly the same chances of accomplishing a takedown, and both can block equally well, barring obvious experience differences. A common reversal position is Whizzer positioning on opponent's underhook. From Whizzer, you can turn the opponent's takedown try into your takedown by redirecting the force of their push.

The number one keys to watch for with either type of takedown is your hip positioning versus theirs. Since both employ lowered hip positioning for the majority of their takedowns and throws, it is key to keep your hips lower, and your center of balance as far from theirs as possible to keep from being taken down. This is why MMA fighters sprawl.

As for going for the legs in Judo, yes there are positions that go for the legs, but it is not recommended that beginning judoka train these leg grabs, drags, and takedowns, since they can lead right into submissions by experienced students.

Source(s): Training Muay Thai since 2000, BJJ off-and-on since 2001, Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu, Okinawa-te and Shotokan karate as a child, and involved in Mixed Martial Arts since 2003.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Hi,

It's been a long time since I practiced Judo (since 1980), however:

*The Judoka (competitors) do a bit of stalking before they actually grab each other's gi.

*Because you are wearing a gi (jacket), it's MUCH easier to get choked out (absolutely legal in Judo competition), and pretzled up in a variety of positions, given the fact that the gi lends itself to a variety of ways to generate torque on your opponent ( which isn't necessarily there when you're dealing with an opponent in a sweaty singlet).

How to get better?

Lots of aerobic conditioning (between 30-45 minutes per day, 5 days per week).

*Do grip strengthening exercises (remember that the pinky and ring fingers are what control your "hand" game.

*Do lots of squats.

**Weights are cool, but I recommend standing squats with not more than 25 lbs in each hand (remember the whole "grip" issue?) and lots of reps.

**Jumping squats are the best (plyometrics plus aerobics).

Practice all you can at about 60% when throwing until you get comfortable (rodoori?).

Get lots of rest (your body really DOES get beat up in Judo ...), stay hydrated, and eat right (ease off the "McTaco Jr.'s", and ease into more fruits and vegetables).

Best wishes, I hope this helps.

(;=]

Source(s): Former intercollegiate Judo competitor (from 1980)
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm not a Judo player myself but the reason that you would be up right instead of bent is to provide a different set of options. Also being stood up would allow you to throw kicks and punches better and telegraph less to your opponent that you intend to take them down.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.