What is the Christian technical definition of the word LOVE ?

I had asked the question >>> "Is there a single word that can apply to ALL TRUE CHRISTIANS ?" and so many answers was the word LOVE.

What is LOVE ? How do you define LOVE ? What EXACTLY is LOVE for a Christian ?

Maybe a definition of what LOVE is NOT would also help.

" i have nothing to add to the answers already given,but i have the feeling you knew the answer before you asked. God bless you "

>>>>>>><<<<<<<

OK

Here is my definition.

LOVE is the totally unselfish unconditional sacrificial caring commitmint to make the object of your LOVE happy.

To LOVE fully always involves sacrifice and risk.

LOVE never quits, lets up, lets down, and NEVER NEVER dies.

THE ULTIMATE EXAMPLE OF PURE HOLY LOVE IS JESUS CHRIST DEATH ON THE CROSS.

HE gave HIMSELF that we might be born again IF WE CHOOSE TO BE.

Believe in THE LORD JESUS

JESUS IS GOD

GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD THAT HE GAVE HIMSELF >>> JESUS

JESUS Bless you all,

dave

Favorite Answer

LOVE is not loving only when you are loved

LOVE is sacrificial, like when Christ died on the Cross.

The love that God talks about is agape love-unconditional.

As hard as this is- True love for a Christian is loving the ones that do not love you.

LOVE also is not tolerating sin. LOVE is loving the person not the action.

The best definition is in the Bible- 1 Cor. 13

Love

1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

The New Testament of the Bible was written in Greek (and Aramaic but that's not the part we're dealing with here). Unlike English, there are multiple words for love in Greek. Agape describes an unconditional love, the Bible uses it to describe God's love. Storge is more of a familial love or affection, philia is a friendship love brought about by having a close connection due to similar beliefs/causes, and eros is more the feeling of "being in love." There's like fifty more words for love in Greek too, but these are the main Biblical ones.

I think what you're thinking of here is agape. It's giving love to people who really did nothing to ask for it/warrant it. As Christians we should strive for this above all else.

Source(s): I'm a nerd and I like studying ancient languages and assuming everyone else is going to be as fascinated by it as I am

Love means to be like Jesus to the Christian. Unconditional, forgiving, having compassion for others, helping others, never turning your back, unjudgmental. Loving even when it is the hardest, hating nobody for any reason. Always try to see the best in people instead of the worst. Loving everyone is the clue to a happy life and if you can't love someone, stay away from them.

When you finally realize the love you have for the creator,Which isn't easy at first for a big Macho guy like me.It's that Agapaio (Greek) total commitment to God.Then the Philaio (like Philadelphia) brotherly love I never really felt for others until I was a Christian. Then of course there is the Eros,which keeps the world populated.

man ill be straight from what I've observed being a former christian. God is the entity humanity has created to represent everything mysterious and undiscovered. You go back to earlier days in humanity and you see how god is represented as the the cosmos because back then we didn't know what they were or how they were formed (we still haven't fully found out the former). There is no exact or official definition for god because humans are still confused as to what god is or if he is even real. I personally believe that some entity had to create the universe as it didn't create itself and non intelligence doesn't create intelligence. All one must do as far as the God question is concerned is live their life and watch out for him. Personally, I don't bother anymore as God seems to like to hide himself if he exist. Just one of the questions that seem to not be able to be answered. Just pick a religion i guess lol...

Sacrifice. These are the words of the apostle John who was one of Jesus' closest friends.

1 John 3:16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.

Cheers

Guy

http://bioperformance-4u.blogspot.com/

• tobi

A "Biblical" understanding of Love is found in I Corinthians 13. Love is basically unselfish in its expression towards those who are loved. God demonstrated His love towards man by sending His Son.

Love is not a feeling; it is a decision to not be selfish. To accept all people, including yourself as being made in His image and having equal value.

Source(s): I Corinithians 13. I John 3:1, 16-18

God is the perfect definition of love.

Not love in turning away from the absolute in the Christian walk...blindness by one's one beliefs system.

i have nothing to add to the answers already given,but i have the feeling you knew the answer before you asked. God bless you