C
C asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 decade ago

♡^_^♡ Foreigners living in Japan...?

Which do you find you ask yourself more often...

"WHAT could I have been thinking?!?"

Or~

"WHY didn't I think of this sooner?!?"

...and why?

• Smiley
    Favorite Answer

That is a very good question sweety! For me, I would say...30% the first one and 70% the last one!

I have been here 10 years. Three of those years were very bad (couldn`t stand it, totally frustrated and wanted to leave). the other 7 years have been A OK! But honestly, I think I would have felt the same way had I stayed in the USA, so I can`t really blame the country itself. I think it has been more the job, the people around me, the circumstances than the country itself.

All in all I think I have really grown up here a lot, come to terms with the fact that both cultures have good points and bad points and I don`t have to choose one over the other. I can appreciate and accept both of them for the good and for the bad...well....you know. You ignore what you can, you try to cope with what you can`t an you can always have a sense of humor about the rest (mind you, this goes for the States too!!)!

BTW, I am pleased to see Japan is changing in many ways, like allowing more imports from other countries...and FINALLY starting to find clothes and shoes that I can wear. HALLELUJA!

I did "think of it sooner," however. . . .

I applied for a JET-type position when I was about 22 yrs old (this was sooooo long ago that I am not sure what I was actually applying for. . .but it was an E teaching position). I didn't make it, and I really don't know why. Possible factors I considered were that I was too tall and that I am from TN. Now I think the facts that I had no passport and had never set foot out of the US were what probably decided it. (At that point the furthest west I'd travelled was Oklahoma. . .ha ha!!)

I sometimes think, "What would have happened if I had gone to Japan back then?" I think I would have been in for some major culture shock. I may even have been one of those people who freaks and runs back home. But who knows?

All I can say now is, being older and coming to Japan definitely was not the shock I was expecting--in fact I loved it. . .the longer I stayed, the longer I wanted to continue to stay. But thanks to my hubby I have been uprooted and now am trying to stay cheerful in China (bleccch).

In Japan I did have to take some lumps (mostly from evil fellow gaijin, ok, just one person) and I do think my personality and habits changed somewhat. . .hopefully for the better.

This is from 7 years ago, I don't know if any one still check their yahoo answer here. So here is my question. I'm regional chinese and moved to usa, got American citizenship from adoption,. Now live on my own. So now I'm into japanese visual kei music . Must live in Japan, my friend in Japan likes my music. Im a born to be a musician, I'm just in my early 20's and my goal is live in Japan ASAP before 30. So what the best way for me to live in Japan. Musican can't ?? Get a working visit right. And I want to work as japanese host too, you guys ever heard of it? . I have a girlfriend already so my last option is marry a japanese women

I probably think "What could I have been thinking of?!?" more often, especially when I find things don't turn out the way I wanted them to.... after of course considering if I should have done it or not.

The question: "Why didn't I think of this sooner?" I rarely worry about, because I think everything in this world has its own time and order, so some thing will only be able to happen after an order!

Yay! Another question from the legend ^o^

Well, I guess I could qualify as a foreigner, so I guess i would go with option two....why didn't I think of this sooner?!

Cause there is just soooooo much technology and stuff that is simple but I guess Japan got to inventing it first.

Source(s): Nice question (*・o・*)

I would ask myself why I didn't think of living in Japan sooner. I love it hear! The people are so nice, great food and beaches! Why not live hear? Everything is so great!

I am still 12, a girl, but when i grow up and becoema neurosurgeon(brain surgeon) I really wnat to live in Japan. my parents are from pakistan, a country towards middle east asia, so why should not i go live in another part of asia! I live in the u.s right now though, i was born here.

• Adam

I ask myself "Why didn't I think of this sooner?"

When I was there, I was basically on my own. I was the only foreigner at my school. I didn't know anyway. I didn't know any Japanese. I had to figure everything out on my own. Several times I asked myself that Why question. I didn't really do anything too stupid while I was there.

• Dawn V

Well, I recently finished my life in Yokohama, adn am now living in Seoul.

When I went back to Tokyo last March, I took a look around and thought, "What was I thinking???" "What was I complaining about???"

I loved my time in Japan, but I do remember complaining about the scarcity of western traditions and food, especially around the holidays.

But I got off that train last march and wanted to kiss the subway wall it was so clean. (again, remember , I am in Seoul now) I went right to revolving sushi at Omatosando in TOkyo adn thought "I am HOME!"

Maybe someday, I'll be living in Bangalore, and when I come back to seoul to visit, I'll say "What was I thinking??? This is great!"

I never felt like asking either. Since I was born and raised with all japanese children, I grew up thinking I was just like them. With the exception of blonde hair and blue eyes. ;) I guess now that I live in america I wonder why I do things here that seemed normal in japan. like slurping noodles, politely refusing twice before accepting an offer, and other things purely japanese.