Error 797 -- modem not found?! A dialup connection problem.?

This is not a problem with my computer, but a problem with a computer of my supervisor at work. Her computer was working fine, until one day, when her computer suddenly proclaimed an error 797, which, according to the error description, was due to the 'modem being busy or not found'. She does not know what... show more This is not a problem with my computer, but a problem with a computer of my supervisor at work. Her computer was working fine, until one day, when her computer suddenly proclaimed an error 797, which, according to the error description, was due to the 'modem being busy or not found'. She does not know what caused this, and whenever she tries to connect (she has a dial-up connection), the modem does not try to dial -- it immediately throws that error. Looking at her computer, I noted that her modem did not appear in the Device Manager, and also that something called a 'PCI Communications Controller' had a question mark beside it -- indicative of an error with the associated drive. We have tried to reinstall the modem (with the Creative CD that she had), but the reinstallation does not seem to have work. We were wondering if anyone had any other suggestions, because she is desperately in need of checking her e-mail. Thanks. =)
Update: Thanks for the help, guys. But I forgot to mention -- this is an internal modem. And we have tried to install the driver with the CD given us (from 'Creative'), but for some reason, the driver doesn't seem to have been installed -- for one thing, the modem does not appear in the Device Manager before... show more Thanks for the help, guys. But I forgot to mention -- this is an internal modem. And we have tried to install the driver with the CD given us (from 'Creative'), but for some reason, the driver doesn't seem to have been installed -- for one thing, the modem does not appear in the Device Manager before *or* after. Nor does it appear in the Phone and Modem Options.
Thanks again. =)