Margaritavillian asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Milwaukee Puck Heads?

I heard as long as the Wirtzes own the Blackhawks, Milwaukee will never get a team (too close)?

should Milwaukee be considered as a possible expansion

Favorite Answer

Considering the cities each have basketball and baseball teams...I'm not certain this argument would work. It is one thing when the potential move of Nashville to Hamilton could be at issue due to territorial rights of both the Leafs and Sabres, but I think the Black Hawks are not physically close enough for that to work. The Wirtzes may put up a stink should it ever happen, but it wouldn't make sense for them to have the right to block it.

I have one problem with Milwaukee, and only one.

IMO, expansion to Columbus has worked as there is no other pro competition in the city save for the MLS Crew...and with current television ratings, I suspect even the NHL is beating the MLS.

Milwaukee already has baseball and basketball fighting over the entertainment dollar. Even worse, for the most part basketball and hockey share the same season. Look at the Nashville example...the Preds were a fantastic expansion franchise until the Titans came to town and took the disposable income away from hockey.

I have little doubt that Milwaukee could support hockey. I also believe that hockey will be returning north, for the most part. However, I think there are a few other locations that either already have a good supportive history (Quebec City & Winnipeg) or smaller cities that have little to no major pro sports competition in place (Grand Rapids, Hamilton, Rochester, London).

I don't think the market in Milwaukee would be big enough, i do realize that it is a bigger city than a few that have NHL teams, but i just dont think it would work. The team could not compete with the Packers and Bears during Football season, or even the UW Madison, there Hockey team has quite a good following

The league should not be expanding anyways, but if they do it would be Vegas and KC, Why? I don't have a clue. Seattle would be a good option though instead for the west, and maybe Quebec city or Hartford for the east.

But maybe if Milwaukee ever got a team they could steal the fans that Chicago has lost due to horrible ownership

The Admirals are bringing in 5000-7000 fans with a ticket average around $15. They have support from the Brewers organization just to get those fans in the building. This is only the American Hockey League. Expansion has caused a pool of hockey talent that can be considered weak at best. Some players that are skating in the NHL should still be honing their craft in the AHL instead.

The NHL should look at reducing the amount of teams in the league down to 24. Lose the teams that are not putting people in the seats or are having issues. Those teams could be : Pittsburgh (new arena issues), Nashville (attendance), Florida(attendance), Phoenix(should have never moved out of Winnipeg), and Edmonton (continues to allow players to leave because it cannot compete with salary pressures). The other two teams would have to be figured out by the NHL governors.

First of all, there should be no expanding in the NHL. The talent level is getting watered down with all these teams. I think that if anything we should somehow get rid of some of the lower market hockey cities. Milkwaukee doesn't have a good enough area for hockey. They have the Bucks, stick to basketball. If the NHL added them they would need another team to even out the conferences. This would lead to even less talent per team. I'm against expansion completely, but there are talks of if they do expand it would be Kansas City and Vegas.

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with the previous poster. If anything, the NHL should be talking about contraction! The NHL has spread themselves thin enough, which is what has gotten them into the mess they are currently in. When the NHL finally gets over this inferiority complex of theirs, perhaps there will be some success.

As for your comment regarding the Wirtzes, that is true, it will be very difficult to expand in Milwaukee under those circumstances. It is very similar to the situation surrounding Nashville and their rumored move to Hamilton.

I believe that to be a valid point. I feel that Milwaukee has long deserved a team.