Dia
Dia asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

diff. between hair dye and hair color?

Whats the difference between hair dye and hair color? I wana cover up greys and henna makes my hair dry. shld i dye it or color it? my doc says i shld use an ammonia free dye...

Favorite Answer

I don't wanna get into semantics here. People use different words. The main issue is the chemicals in the product. The main culprit is the hydrogen peroxide which bleaches your hair and thus damages it. Now, bleaching is required if you wanna go lighter, or a totally different side of the color spectrum. For covering grey hair you might wanna use products with no hydrogen peroxide in it. It doesn't last that long, but is safer for your hair. Either way, conditioners for colored-hair help with damaged hair, and also keep the color true longer.

You should use body art quality henna powder as it is safest and has no chemicals nor additives. If it makes oyu dry do not mix it with lemon juice use warmed water. If that is not the issue then make sure you add some deep conditioner or yoghurt to your mix to moisten your hair or even amla oil or olive oil. Some people find it drying but need to balance it out with another ingredient naturally.

If you want brown to black tones you will have to add indigo powder as well.

Henna is a permanent dye

I feel in both the cases, you are going to damage your hair whether you use color or dye so the best way out to cover greys is to use henna only, as for dryness, you can add curd to henna and apply and after washing henna, apply mustard oil for 3-4 hrs , then shampoo as usual.

this is the most cheap and best way out

Source(s): personal experiance

In Dying, Dye enters the body to give and colour and the colour produced is usually permanent. Colour is applied on the surface. It is not part of the whole body in most case.

The same thing is true for Hair colours and Hair dye. Dye enters the micro capillary tube of the hair to give specific colour. Hair colour will paint it from outside only. Therefore it my fad faster or wash out within few days. New growing hair will be of its original colour in both the case.

Hair color can be your natural color. Dye has chemicals.

You DYE your hair the COLOR that you want. Their is no difference. There is a difference between dying your hair and rinsing your hair. Dying your hair is permanent. Rinsing is a semi-permanet-it washes out after a couple of shampoos

means the same to me. Yes your doc is right. you should use ammonia free dye. It is safer.

hair dye givez u jet black or brown colour it lookz like vig but if u use hair colour products like loreal/garnier it look natural n u gonna definately feel good n if ur doctor hav suggest u the above mentioned dye thn juz try it ok...bye...

I think they are the same.... you should try a "hena rinse", it's natural and ammonia free and usually sold at any health stores like GMC or Wild oats.