Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

Seat height question for Kawasaki Ninja EX500?

So I'm 5'1 and 102 lbs. I was told to get a Kawasaki 250 or 500. I know the new bike stats for seat height on a 250 is 29.3" and the 500 seat height is 30.5". Does anyone know if the 30.5" seat height is consistent with a 89 Kawasaki Ninja EX500? I can touch the ground no problem on a 250, so I'm sure I can touch it on a 500. Just wanted to know if the seat height stayed the same.

I said on a 250 I can touch the ground no problem. On a 500 I am assuming I can too because its just a 1" difference.

At any rate if I couldn't reach the ground on a 500, I would just shave the seat to lower the seat height.

The guy pretty much replaced everything on the bike, I can't think of much more that could go wrong with it so I'm going to buy it. Plus its a PRACTICE bike. If I mess it up I won't feel to bad .

Favorite Answer

Okay, I am going to agree with David and eucompboy on this. 102 lbs and 5'1"........?????????? Unless the bikes are lowered.

I am 5'1" and when I bought my bike I was 115 lbs. I tried about 20 bikes (all types) before I found one that I could touch the ground on. Touch as in both feet flat footed. This is what was recommended to me at the Motorcycle Rider's Course I took.

My daughter who is 5'3" and weighs 135 lbs has a Ninja 250 and can barely stand flat footed. I rode hers and barely touched with both toes. I weigh more now and neither of us can get the bike to drop 1 to 2 inches.

My bike has a 25 1/2 inch seat. I can stand flat footed with both knees bent slightly while sitting. Again,recommended to me by MSF. Yamaha V-Star 650 custom.

Recommendation for a new rider: Take the class. Before buying, try different bikes until you find one you are comfortable on. Start cheap and smaller. Go bigger and more expensive with some experience.

I would not be as worried about messing the bike up as messing yourself up by getting a bike that is too big.

Source(s): MSAP instructor. Motorcycle Safety and Awareness Program for students in Driver's Education.

I am 5'1" and 115 lbs. and ride a Ninja 250. I am really happy with it and feel the bike fits me. Have you actually sat on a Ninja 500? I was able to touch the ground but did feel like the bike was a bit long. The Ninja 250's hold their value really well so even if you feel like you need to trade up in a year, you won't be out more than a couple hundred dollars (unless you really ruin the thing).

If the bike is to high, you can probably take and raise the forks in the tripple clamp slightly to lower it mabey an inch in the front for a diferance of about 1/2 inch at the seat.

Have fun with the bike by the way, the 500 twin is a great motor, and has plenty of power to keep you entertained so you wont have to step up to a larger bike for quite some time.

I am going to disagree witht he guy above me and say you dont have to have both feet down and planted. Dirt bike riders can only put one foot down and my V-strom I can only get one foot flat or tiptoes on both. if you feels safer with both feet flat get a vulcan 500, same engine, more chrome (yuck)

Hi sonya; Is there any way possible you could sit on this bike or test drive before purchase . 30.5" seat height sounds high for a 5' 1" gal .Go to a dealer & sit on a ninga with a 30.5 " seat height for confirmation . PS At 55 mph and 102 lbs. eat more doughnuts and wear a seatbelt girl.

the seat height is still the same maybe you should have the bike lowered they make lowering links that lower a bike anywhere from 1 to 4 inches,but remember if you go this route to get your kickstand cut and welded so the bike has the proper lean angle

I'm with David Z on this one. Sorry, don't ask us. Go and sit on one to be certain. Give me a thumbs down.

Edit: It's moot. I just saw your other question. My recommendation is that you do not buy this bike, unless you want a project bike to work on. You don't know what shape the radiator / coolant system is in.

at 5'1" you can touch the ground on a 500ninja?

i'd like to see some proof of that.

and i dont mean two toes, or one foot flat and one toe, two feet flat on the ground, with a little room to bend the knees.

It should it might be 3-5in taller, but your weight willl drop a bike 1 or 2in.

you want to be flat footed so tip toes doesn't cut but they can lower the bike for you so its not a big deal

Don't lower the entire bike. Shave the padding in the seat.