Can a hospital legally disclose your appointments to their billing department?

My mother is very private and does not want people in the billing department to just be able to see her appointments. She does not deal with financial matters and the billing department should contact my father anyway. What rights does she have if any? She was told if she refused to sign the HIPAA paperwork they would refuse to treat her.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

For billing purposes and only billing purposes they have a right to know when your appointments are so they may bill the insurance or to bill the patient. If she has not signed a written statement stating they can contact your father, then they will not contact him because of the HIPPA laws. NO ONE CAN BE REFUSED TREATMENT FOR NOT SIGNING HIPPA FORMS! I work in a medical office and that would be against the Hippocratic oath they take as a doctor to refuse treatment. HIPPA laws are put there to protect your medical information and personal information from being used outside of medical treatment. If she was refused treatment because she refused to sign the HIPPA forms, you need to go higher up then the billing department and talk to the hospital's patient advocate worker or the Doctor in charge of the practice.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The hospital has to provide that information to the billing department so that the insurance company can be billed for the care your mother received. She can't refuse to have that information provided to the billing department, unless she is going to pay cash at the time of treatment.

• 1 decade ago

Appointments need to be disclosed to the billings department for obvious reasons. medical information is privileged, however the cost of an appointment as well as the account status of a patients is not. Accounts receivable also has to know the billing date (ie. the date of the appointment) in order to set their terms,

• 4 years ago

If the hospital is in network with the insurance then no, they cannot bill you. Call your insurance company (the one they should have submitted to originally) and let them know you are being billed and they will contact the hosptial to tell them to stop blling you.If the hospital is out of network with the insurance, then they technically can bill you. Whenever you go out of network, it's up to you to make sure they are billing properly and doing whatever they need to do to get paid since they are not contractually obligated to do anything with the insurance company (billing, etc...). If they are out of network, I would suggest filing an appeal with your insurance company asking for an exception since you were unaware there was a problem.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

If I understand you right, then how does you Mother think she is going to get billed? Some one is going to need to see the dates, times, etc. to be sure the bills are right. Your Mother needs to get over it and get on with her life as we all are treated like this and no one has any problems with it or from it.

• 1 decade ago

Does her desire for privacy extend to not wanting the services or is it just paying for them that is the problem?

The hospital has the right to be paid for its services. To bill for those services it must be able to say what the services were and when they were provided. If you mother does not want to sign the documents to allow for billing, the hospital has the right to refuse service.

Tell her to stop whining and sign the forms.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If they did not know she had an appointment then they would not know to bill her.

• mary
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

THE HIPAA LAW IS TO KEEP HER PRIVACY. NOT DISCLOSE HER PRIVACY.

I DO NOT THINK THEY CAN DISCLOSE HER APPTS TO YOUR FATHER BECAUSE THAT IS PART OF HER PRIVACY.

THE HIPPA LAW IS IN HER FAVOR

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.