What is the difference between cooking on a gas?

stove and a electric stove?

I hear people say the prefer gas stoves than electric and vice versa when it comes to cooking

• Joan R
    Favorite Answer

Cooking with gas gives you more temperature controll (it takes longer for electric heating elements to cool down or heat up).

I've cooked on both, and I will never go back to electric by choice. I have found that gas cooks more evenly, that when I turn the burner off, it's OFF, there is no continued cooking, gas cooking is quicker., the temps are exact and I can cook or warm my house with my gas stove when the power is out. If you are overcooking on your elec stove/oven, try using 325 as a standard and adjust the time, under cooking, same thing. Glass cookware works best in elec ovens, stainless best on the burners, use the middle rack, and if you broil, leave the oven door cracked so you can judge the brownness. If you are buying your home, have a plumber come set you a gas hookup.

As I understand it it partially boils down to the cook's preference, and partially on what utilities are available. Electric uses resistance heating, which can be expensive. Also requires 220v. A gas-fueled oven requires only 120v but requires a gas source -- usually from the street. (most households find out they don't have the correct hookups!)

Gas tends to offer more instantaneous control over electric at the stove-top burners: gas can be turned off immediately; electric coils take a while to cool down. Oven is pretty much full on or full off for both fuels.

Gas Pros:

It browns food better.

Instant heat on/off.

Flame broiled meat tastes better.

No interruption in service like electricity.

May be less expensive to operate.

Gas appliances usually last longer than electric.

Most professional cooks prefer gas.

Gas Cons:

Needs a hood vented to the outside.

Installation of oven/stove takes longer than electric.

Will dirty walls/ceilings over time.

Gas appliances cost more than electric.

.

I like gas stoves because I can see the flame.

There is usually better control between "High" and "Low." On an electric range there are only two or three stops along the way. On a gas stove, the range between high and low is unlimited!

It's not that gas is faster to cook with. When you adjust the temperature on a gas stove, the heating element changes temperature instantly. So you have far more control over the temperature at which you are cooking, so you are less likely to overcook food. And you can also judge cooking times for individual dishes or ingredients better, so that a whole meal is ready at once.

Electric ovens maintain a more regular and even temperature. On the other hand, gas burners are much easier to control. "Bring to a boil and quickly reduce to a simmer" kinds of things are impossible on an electric stove unless you are willing to use 2 burners. They make stoves with electric ovens and gas cooktops. I'd go for that.

Source(s): Have owned both. Stuck with electric now.
  • JoAnn

Gas stoves are easier to control, it's what I have at my house. With a gas stove, you can see the size and intensity of the flame making it easier to adjust the heat when cooking.

I have had both and prefer the electric stove. I have one of those older coil burner stoves. I am looking to get a smooth top radiant heat stove soon.

Regulating your heat is easier with a gas stove.

Gas allows for more fine-grained control of the temperature, is generally quicker to heat up, and can cook at several thousand BTU's higher which is great for high heat applications (such as searing meat and sautées).