why does my drill smells funny?

when I run my 18volt Dewalt drill it gives off a burning smell. I was told it is the brushes. Is this something I can fix myself.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    if you smell something burning it is the motor overheating....the brushes never cause no smell themselves but they are responsible for most all problems that happen to your drill motor ....the brushes wear down as they get used ...this causes them to lose their ability to make a good connection to the armature communtator...this cause the brushes to arc more than normal overheating the armature and causing it to burn out....you can replace the brushes they are cheap and are easy to get at any power tool repair center...Dewalt is Black and decker and most craftsman tools are either black and decker or skill tools with the craftsman name put on them as craftsman doesnt make power tools...it has someone else make them and put craftsman's name on them..

    Source(s): 40 years hand tool parts, brushes and repairs...
    • Login to reply the answers
  • dynah
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    Dewalt Drill Brushes

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

    Dewalt Drill Motor

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

    This Site Might Help You.

    RE:

    why does my drill smells funny?

    when I run my 18volt Dewalt drill it gives off a burning smell. I was told it is the brushes. Is this something I can fix myself.

    Source(s): drill smells funny: https://biturl.im/BMrgQ
    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    actually it may be the fact that drills make sparks on the inside of themselves then there is the fan which has to work at the same time as when your drilling so that means there are 2 motors working at the same time when 2 things are working in 1 machine it causes a burning smell. and really you dont have to worry about anything if that is what it is.or you could be right that it is the brushes and you should just buy a new drill.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    It is likely that what you are smelling is ozone, unless there is something wrong with your drill like you dropped cheese into the cooling ports. Ozone is a pungent odor that resembles a smoldering fire smell. It is O3, instead of the odorless O2 which we breathe to sustain life, O3 if formed by electric current passing though the air as between a motors brushes and its armature.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Its actually cheaper to take your drill apart and pull the brushes out and scrape them with sand paper then pop them back in and good as new. This only works if the brushes are still big enough, they wear out eventually. Depending on the type of drill you got, it still might be cheaper to fix it then get a new one. If your drill costs like 20 bucks, then yea go buy a new one. I got those expensive heavy duty Craftsmans I've had them for years, I just replace the brushes, way cheaper then a new craftsman with that much power in it.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • x
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    OK, It maybe that your putting too much pressure on the drill, and actually "melting" the plastic housing on it!

    On my Dewalt, the silly "cowl" started to peel off...(I bought one of those "family packs" of tools with the el-cheapo batteries I found out and I will "NEVER" buy anything battery operated from DeWalt again!).

    You probably got it too hot, and you started to melt plastic... Just use it in a regular fashion and it should be ok...(I would use it in very "light" drilling, and not drill so long with it, as its heating up on you, and I dont think the brushes have anything to do with it, lets face it, DeWalt battery operated tools SUCK!-->I love thier "corded power tools", but, they dropped the ball on the battery operated ones...).

    Get rid of it and get another drill...

    I recommend (and a lot of people would be shocked), but, a Sears "industrial" battery operated drill ! I have used my 14.4 volt drill for over 10 years now! And the Battery has lasted up and still holds a charge!

    (The reason I wanted that "combo pack" was because of the trim saw for DeWalt).

    Or any Industrial brand drill is obviously better than any DeWalt battery operated tools-->Do I get the message across, I dont like DeWalt tools yet?? :)

    I wish you well...

    Jesse

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    My 18volt dewalt does the same thing. I have three of them and it one of them always has a wierd smell to it . I just ignored it and it has been kicking along fine for around 5 years. I use it commercially every day and have not had a failure from it yet.

    If it really bothers you, return it or send it in for repair.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    All I use is Dewalt tools, how old is your drill? If it is fairly new I would take it back to where I bought it!!! Dewalt carries a lifetime warranty. I have an old Craftsman drill that smells like it is burning, the motor is going out on it. Like I said, Dewalt generally stands behind their product. If it is new take it back to the store, if it is old call Dewalt. Good Luck!

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.