What would Happen if Chechnya declared Independence?

I am taking part in a World Affairs simulation. I am leading the group representing Chechnya. We have pledges from several entities ranging from Venezuela to North Korea to Opec to help us should Russia invade us after declaring independence. In the real world, what would NATO and/or the UN do in regards to this situation?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If Chechnya declares independence, Russia most definately going to invade it. The UN is a figurehead organization which is not going to react at all. So far, UN has failed to prevent the genocides in Darfur and Rwanda. The best way to declare independence from Chechnya is to befriend a superpower which is stronger militarily then Russia. Just as invasion detterent from Russia.

• 1 decade ago

Chechnya CONTINUES to assert its independence. Russia is the occupier and colonizer. Of course Russia will invade, because Tatarstan will be the next to declare independence, and Russia does not want to give up its slaves and oil in Tatarstan.

• 4 years ago

Both the Czarists and the Soviets murdered or made disappear ALL enemies, no matter what their disagreement was. There may have been terrorist bombings during the Soviet Union era, but with a state-owned press, we would never have heard about them. Today's more open media, and the millions and millions of cell phones and camera phones make secrets harder to keep!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Chechnya perhaps could finally be at peace, after being terrorized by russia for hundreds of years. i hope my Chechen brothers and sisters can defeat the russian terrorists.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Not much. Russia would invade and I doubt very much NATO or anyone else would stop that.

• 1 decade ago

The Russians would roll right in and attack the "rebels."

The West would protest as they have done in the past, but nothing would happen.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.