ipod nano 2nd gen will charge but not sync!?

ok, so when i plug my ipod in, it registers the connection for charging, but the "do not disconnect" message never appears and my ipod never shows up on the left hand side of my itunes! i have it set that once it plugs in that it should open itunes but it doesn't even do that. the apple website doesn't mention anything about this or anything similar. any tips or help would be GREATLY appreciated!

ok, i just ran the itunes diagnostic, and the only thing that doesn't seem to be functioning is this:

No IEEE 1394 Host Controller found.

anyone know what that means? haha, beats me!

oh, and it is the same computer and resetting did not work unfortunately =(

Best Answer

Usually this happens when the iPod needs to be reset. Resetting your iPod will not cause you to lose any of the music you've got on it, so don't panic. :)

Step 1: Flip your hold switch "on" then "off".

Step 2: Press and hold your Play/Pause button and Menu button for 5-10 seconds until the Apple logo screen appears.

At this point, your iPod should start up properly. Make sure it's working correctly as a music player first.

Next, try syncing your iPod. If that works, great! If not, try another USB port on your computer.

If that doesn't work, see if you can borrow a USB cable from a friend or try syncing it at the local Apple store if there's one nearby. (Remember, if you sync your iPod to another computer, your music will be erased off the iPod. To bring it back, just re-sync your iPod to your computer, assuming you are able to!)

If that doesn't work, then there's something wrong with your iPod and you need to contact Apple.

• jamie5 years agoReport

thank you, your help got my ipod back up and running

Ipod Nano 2nd Generation

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

ok, so when i plug my ipod in, it registers the connection for charging, but the "do not disconnect" message never appears and my ipod never shows up on the left hand side of my itunes! i have it set that once it plugs in that it should open itunes but it doesn't even do that. the...

Source(s): ipod nano 2nd gen charge sync: https://tr.im/k8LW3

Did you try resetting it??

1. Slide the hold switch to off and then on;

2. press & hold both menu & center button till the apple logo appears. (can take up to 10 or so seconds, and you may have to do it again)

are you trying to use it on the same computer that you have always used? The only thing i hate about iPods is they will only sync to ONE computer/version of iTunes

How about contacting the company. Or reformat your ipod using another computer.

Try putting the songs on manually. You can send it back to Apple.