When is viral Bronchitis no longer contagious?

I developed Bronchitis over the weekend, I had to stay home from work today because the coughing is severe. I started on Septra (an antibiotic) this morning. When is it safe to go back to work without the risk of infecting my co-workers?

-Thanks!!!

To Lorraine, that's what I've known to be true also. The doc this morning said that this medication in particular is effective - even with viral bronchitis. I've produced stutum, so that prompted her to give me the medication.

Favorite Answer

Bronchitis is not contagious. They gave you the antibiotic because regardless of what caused the bronchitis (viral or bacteria) it helps relieve the symptoms. I usually develop it once a year and without the antibiotics it lasts for a few months versus a few weeks. Here's the thing, there is no virus or bacteria that is called a bronchitis virus/bacteria, like a cold virus or the flu virus. Bronchitis is caused by a virus or bacteria that is causing distress to the bronchial tubes. Something is causing the little 'hairs' in your bronchial tubes that move mucus out to not work as effectively right now. So the mucus builds up and because the irritant cannot be moved out the tubes becomes inflamed, which is why, if it's bad enough to get you to the doctor, when you cough it sounds almost like, well I'll just say it sounds like you're about to donate a lung and your not even dead yet. Plus that would be why you might have that burning feeling when you do cough.

2

Source(s): Remedy For Eliminating Asthma - http://AsthmaRelief.iukiy.com/?jaBU
  • Betsy

I once suffered from Chronic Bronchitis. I would suffer sometimes 3 to 4 times per year! Usually when there was a major change in the pressure outside (I live in the north, and the temperature spikes and dips do wonders to chronic sufferers of bronchitis!). Each time I would get horrible hacking coughs, hoarking up green phlegm..it was so frustrating!

The key to getting rid of your bronchitis is to find a way to completely eliminate the germs that are causing all the phlegm and irritation leading to your hoarking cough and heavy breathing. Keep reading to learn how to do kill these germs!!

This page it will change your life and make you feel 100% better within just 24 hours!

48 hours after being on a prescribed medication. You can go bact to work on Wedsnday provided oyu are feeling up to it.

I thought antibiotics were used for bacterial infections, not viral infections.