tramacet painkiller?

recently prescribed to me. Seems to be very good stuff..even stronger than tylenol 3 I think. Or IS it? Is this a stronger narcotic based painkiller? I don't want to get addicted to anything....

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Tramacet

How does it work?

This medicine contains two active ingredients, tramadol hydrochloride and paracetamol. These are both pain-relieving medicines.

Tramadol hydrochloride is a type of painkiller called an opioid. It is related to morphine, though is not as strong a painkiller. Opioid painkillers work by mimicking the action of naturally occurring pain-reducing chemicals called endorphins. Endorphins are found in the brain and spinal cord and reduce pain by combining with opioid receptors.

Tramadol mimicks the action of our natural endorphins by combining with the opioid receptors in the brain and spinal cord. This blocks the transmission of pain signals sent by the nerves to the brain. Therefore, even though the cause of the pain may remain, less pain is actually felt.

Tramadol also works by enhancing the activity of neurotransmitters in the brain and spinal cord. Neurotransmitters are chemical compounds that act as chemical messengers between the nerve cells. Tramadol enhances the effect of the neurotransmitters serotonin and noradrenaline, and this action also helps relieve pain.

Paracetamol is a non-opioid painkiller that on its own is used to relieve mild to moderate pain. It can also reduce fever. It is not fully understood how paracetamol works.

The combination of tramadol and paracetamol in this medicine is used to provide relief from moderate to severe pain.

WARNINGS:

Alcohol increases the risk of liver damage that can occur if an overdose of paracetamol is taken. The hazards of paracetamol overdose are greater in persistant heavy drinkers and in people with alcoholic liver disease.

Some people may experience withdrawal symptoms when they stop taking this medicine. These may include feeling agitated, anxious, nervous or shaky, or having difficulty sleeping. Tell your doctor if you experience any of these symptoms after stopping this medicine. These effects usually disappear after a few days.

An overdose of paracetamol is dangerous and capable of causing serious damage to the liver and kidneys. You should never exceed the dose stated in the information leaflet supplied with the medicine. Immediate medical advice should be sought in the event of an overdose with this medicine, even if you feel well, because of the risk of delayed, serious liver damage.

Do not take more than 2 at any one time. Do not take more than 8 in 24 hours.

Do not take this medication with any other products containing paracetamol.

NOT TO BE USED WITH:

Breastfeeding

People under the influence of (intoxicated with) alcohol, sleeping tablets, tranquilizers, psychotropic drugs (those affecting mood or emotions) or other painkillers that act on the brain, eg morphine, codeine

People who have taken monoamine-oxidase inhibitor antidepressants (MAOIs) in the last 14 days

Pregnancy

Severely decreased liver function

Uncontrolled epilepsy

USED WITH CAUTION ON:

Decreased kidney function

Diseases of the bile ducts

Head injury

History of drug, alcohol or medication dependence or abuse

History of fits (seizures), eg epilepsy

Impaired breathing ability

Impaired conciousness

Increased pressure in the brain (raised intracranial pressure)

Moderately decreased liver function

People over the age of 75 years

Reduced blood flow to vital internal organs (shock)

You really have to watch and protect your kidneys from an overdose of paracetamol. If you find yourself taking more than necessary go to your doctor right away.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Tramacet Vs Tylenol 3

• 1 decade ago

Tramacet is an non-opioid analgesic (pain reliever not related to the opium family), that is an "intermediate" pain reliever (in between, say, tylenol and tylenol #3). It is very effective for short term acute pain (say 5-7 days) but after that its risks begin to outway its benefits. It is synthetic, meaning man made chemical compounds, where as morphine and codeine are naturally occuring compounds and may be tolerated better on a long term basis. Tramacet is a controlled substance, and can be addictive. My advise is take it for a week, then see your doctor again if you still need heavy duty pain control.

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

tramacet painkiller?

recently prescribed to me. Seems to be very good stuff..even stronger than tylenol 3 I think. Or IS it? Is this a stronger narcotic based painkiller? I don't want to get addicted to anything....

Source(s): tramacet painkiller: https://tinyurl.im/H55ix
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I have never heard of Tramacet. If your Doctor prescribed it that is what you should take - only as directed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.