What does "let's stay friends" means?

We(me24-him 33) were together for 9 months.We loved each other and we were thinking of moving in together and eventually get married.He was from a town 1hr away from me and even though i didn't want to move from my town I decided that I could move in with him...he showed me that he loved me till death...but... show more We(me24-him 33)
were together for 9 months.We loved each other and we were thinking of moving in together and eventually get married.He was from a town 1hr away from me and even though i didn't want to move from my town I decided that I could move in with him...he showed me that he loved me till death...but suddenly (ok we had our little disputes) he asked me to stay friends with him...and i was torned! I couldn't believe what he was asking me to do...
It's been a week that we don't speak...and i was angry at him while he was keep coming back to confirm that we would be friends...Now that I (i think) managed to pull my self together and realised that it's all over and i want to stay friends with him he is gone!!!He doesn't want to talk to me any more...He is trying to bulid up his life and he is trying to find a new woman..I am so hurt but am trying to find someone else too...I don't think there is anybody else like or even better than him for me.He hurt me so much and he knows.Why?
Update: Am not ugly am not fat and definately not illeterate!!!!
We just lived in two different towns...that's all!

Anyway,just found out that he is dating another,he just informed me!!! :(