Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

About gun laws in Florida and carriers permit...?

I just recently purchased a .38 ACP from the local gun shop. I'm getting my carrier's permit on the 20th. I known they will go over the rules of carrying a gun when I go to the seminar, but I want to know before hand the limits. Can I carry the gun on me in a store/restaurant/bar, or just outside? Does the gun have to be unloaded, or can it be loaded, just not ******? Any sort of information on this I would find useful, thanks.

Favorite Answer

Ok. The gun class will cover the details of Florida law. But what I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND is reading any and all books by Massad Ayoob. Ayoob is the nation's leading expert on the use of lethal force in self defense. You will get the straight, brutal truth from him. It may not be what you want to hear, but it will be what you should hear.

Some suggestions:

1) read everything that Massod Ayoob has written.

2) get a membership at the local gun range.

3) practice hitting the target. Practice, practice, and then practice. You're going to spend a lot of money on ammo. That's the way it is. You want to carry a gun, this is part of the price.

4) subscribe to a magazine such as Combat Handguns, but be very skeptical about what you read. There's a lot of bad information out there.

5) search out people who really know what they are talking about. Unfortunately, most people even in law enforcement don't know what they are talking about.

6) If at all possible, take a course sponsored by Ayoob's Lethal Force Institute. It's not cheap. But you propose to walk around in public with lethal force on your hip. So be willing to pay for the best information.

7) a good holster is very important. You'll go through a number of holsters before you find the right one that works for you. Part of the normal cost.

8) get a gun belt. The leather of a good gun belt is about twice as thick as a regular belt. But the gun belt is the foundation of concealed carry. If you try to carry a gun with a regular belt, you'll find that the gun and holster flap around in a very irritating way. So spend the money on a good gun belt. A lot of companies make good belts. I have a Ted Blocker belt and am very happy.

Dude, we're talking life and death here. This is not trivial, nor is it easy. You make the wrong decision with a gun and you can end up in prison for life. So be cautious and get the best information. What's your life worth? I'm not trying to beat you up here, but you need to know a lot more than what will be presented in the concealed carry class. Take the time, spend the money, be informed, become an expert. You can do it.

Best wishes.

read the rules