Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

what sound do giraffes make?

they must be able to make some sort of sound... i mean if you took scissors to those freakish antennae things, they'd have to do something... right?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

They make a very sad bellow-like sound that's like a really depressed cow. They only make it when they are really stressed or scared. I have heard it myself twice in my life, once during a restraint of a sedated giraffe in a zoo to trim hooves, and another in Africa when a capture team was restraining a sedated giraffe for transport. I have heard it several times on video of giraffe being killed by predators. I'm sure they probably make other noises that we can not hear. It's one of the most sad sounds I have ever heard.

By the way, those freakish antannae things are called "ossicones" "ossi-" meaning bones. They are like horns that don't grow keratin sheaths. I don't think you could cut them off with scissors! They are very hard!

Source(s): ex-zookeeper, ex-widlife capture team member in South Africa...now at vet
  • masako
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Do Giraffes Make Noise

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the belief that giraffes make no noise is simply a tall tale -- the animals can make a number of sounds.

Giraffes rarely make noises with their mouth, but when they do, they snort or moo.

A page from the Indianapolis Zoo confirmed this fact, and stated that giraffes can also make a "low, fluttering sound."

they are capable of frighteningly loud grunts and roars if they feel threatened.

Source(s): BKS
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what sound do giraffes make?

they must be able to make some sort of sound... i mean if you took scissors to those freakish antennae things, they'd have to do something... right?

Source(s): sound giraffes make: https://tr.im/NJ7mr
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

They don't have vocal chords but they have occasionally been known to rumble out a moo or two!

Source(s): Giraffe lover
  • 1 decade ago

Well, I don't know personally, but I would assume it would be difficult to type the noise.... Hmm...

• 1 decade ago

they don't make any sounds, it seems wierd, but they do not have any vocal cords. if you cut off the horns, it would probably kill you.....

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

a high pitch squeak

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.