Whatever happened to Anita Bryant and her crusade against gays?

I was just drinking some orange juice and I was reminded of growing up in Florida and having Anita Bryant and Florida OJ being boycotted by gays after she started ranting about us. We showed the world how well we could organize against someone who had a personal agenda against us. Why didn't the Christians back her up better?

I forced myself to go out and look info up on her and I think that God has made her a mess in return for her hatred. I'm sorry that people were hurt by her, but it must be saying something like, "don't spread hate and lies."

Alex, no one shot her that I can see.

EmmaPeel66, it would be wonderful if someone could curb the rabid fundies. Like your name.

Jared G, if I find any short and curlies in my juice...

Death, is her son really gay. We cursed her with that, but we didn't think it would stick. I guess my Witchly powers are stronger than I thought

Thanks to all the rest for your time spent finding out all these things. I haven't been very active in the gay world so I am thankful to hear news every now and then. Kudos to all.

If you want to see my beautiful kids I adopted, some see them at

uttp://www.unitedpaganchurch.org/gallery/

• Kedar
    Favorite Answer

She is in her early 60s now -- Her successful career went down the drain at about the same time as her marriage, and according to newspaper accounts, her unpaid taxes totaled $116,000 in Missouri, $172,000 in Arkansas, and about $490,000 in Tennessee.

In 1998, Miami-Dade county reinstated human rights protections for gays and lesbians -- Five years later, the rightwing Christian Coalition backed a county-wide effort to repeal the law, but lost, with Bryant offering no public comment. -- One of Bryant's sons is reportedly gay.

Anita Bryant.....Wow!....that's a name I haven't heard in years.

Is she still alive? I think Anita Bryant came along at a time when America was changing greatly. She was from another generation....and just didn't get it. I saw one of her hate speeches summarized on the news one time (when I was little), she got boooooos from the crowd.

Maybe she's reconsidered her beliefs since then...maybe she's reformed. I think people can change....hope she did.

Maybe she was part of the catalyst that caused change..I duno. I don't wish her ill...I still hear hateful words like hers coming from people today....even family.

Being GLBT is hard enough today....but I think less hard since Anita Bryant's time. Possibly some good came out of all that....what do you think.

Peace be with you...-Vinny.

Just like here career and her campaign against gays went sour.

Let her live in peace. She was a product of the times, a time that's happily over.

She tried to stand up for what she believed & was crucified for it..like another couragious person who tried to give a different take on what people thjought was correct and was also crucified. John.

She left a legacy of a law that gays can not adopt children in Florida (though it doesn't seem to bother Rosie O'donnell and her kids). She mostly has become a broken old wretch, her fundamentalist church won't acknowledge her because of her divorce and her career sucks.

Source(s): Wikapedia, OKC news
  • momaab

Looking at the link above, it sounds like Karma caught up with her. What goes around, comes around.

• DEATH

Oh she's still around, but most people just think she's a loony. She kind of shut-up a lot when her son came out publicly.

She wasn't being a Christian. However, I realize that some Christians think it's okay to persecute gays. I guess they haven't asked themselves what Jesus would do.

last I heard she was defrauding her employees of their wages in Tennesee or someplace , while still carrying on about The Lord .