Is it true that chefs can hear a lobster screaming when dumped in boiling water vats?

I heard that lobsters are dumped alive in big vats of boiling water to cook them fresh, and that they can be heard screaming or making some loud noise in reaction. Is it true?? It sounds barbaric and unnecessary to eat any living creature like this.

Why dont they just let the lobster die and keep it on ice to maintain its freshness? Why boil it alive??

Are customers aware of this? Are they ok with it? Isnt there some law that should prevent this? If you're not allowed to be inhumane to your pets then why to such creatures.

I did see in the latest episode of Hell's Kitchen, the participants were dumping crabs and such into boiling vats of water. And some of those crabs were still moving their claws. And what about sharks that are reeled in, their fins cut off and their bleeding bodies dumped back in the sea for some tasty shark fin soup. Ever since I heard that one I stopped my hubby from ordering it in Chinese restaurants. Its ok if all of the shark was utilised but you can never tell if it was inhumanely butchered alive for fins.

Favorite Answer

Apparently they feel no pain - Check out the web site, there is fun stuff.

It's commendable that people do not want to inflict pain on animals, but this one is false on two accounts. First of all, pain doesn't just happen automatically - it is the result of specific receptors, nerve pathways, and brain regions all cooperating to convert certain physical stimuli into the perception of pain. This has all been thoroughly worked out in humans and other vertebrates. But guess what - lobsters and other crustaceans are not vertebrates and simply do not have these nerve pathways and brain regions (they don't have a real brain at all, for that matter). In other words, no brain, no pain (sorry, I couldn't resist that one!).

"What about the "scream" that lobsters sometime emit when dropped in the boiling water? There's the problem that lobsters have no throat, no vocal cords, no lungs, so how could they scream at all? The fact is that the noise is caused by air trapped in the shell. When heated it expands and forces itself out through small gaps, causing the sound."

Take it from a chef who has cooked around 1000 lobster in his career, I am from Canada and worked on both coasts, they do not scream, they have no vocal chords.

The issues with the crabs you saw on TV moving is a involuntary movement, and yes it is inhumane the way the harvest shark fins, but now alot of the meat is used, I cooked it many times, mako is the nicest, dogfish is very strong.

But with the advent of shark cartilidge as a nutrient supplement, they are using more of the shark, but it is not right to just cut off the fins, I am not a fan of shark meat, answered a question the other day from a ex-Icelandic person, they have a dish using a fermented shark meat, it can be a trick just being in the same room with it.

Yes, they do put live lobsters in vats of boiling water, or at least they used to. I don't know if they scream or not, however I could think of many better ways to die.

to correct the first answer here.....the lobster should be alive when you plan to cook it.....with lobster you either have to boil it alive or kill it and freeze it immediately......and no they do not scream....if you hear any sound...it is steam and air excaping from between shell segments or whatever they are called

it is true that they can not feel and that they can not scream. however, if the nise bothers you so much or boiling them alive bothers you so much... drop them into some liquor first like sake or cognac or whatever flavor you like and let them drink themselves to death. people die this way, why not lobsters? lol and they taste good this way too!

Lobsters do not scream!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Where did you hear this?

All lobster should be dead before getting boiled...

What you ask is just a myth, just to make people have topics for talking.

I suggest that you become a chef yourself, and find out the truth about it.

LOL

Here we go, animal protesters. All animals were put on this earth for our use and for food. What? your a vegetarian awwwww aint that too bad.....I'm not!I eat meat. Beef,poultry, pork, deer,elk,bear,rabbits,squirrels,pigeons,Lobsters,all seafood.