Is it true that chefs can hear a lobster screaming when dumped in boiling water vats?

I heard that lobsters are dumped alive in big vats of boiling water to cook them fresh, and that they can be heard screaming or making some loud noise in reaction. Is it true?? It sounds barbaric and unnecessary to eat any living creature like this. Why dont they just let the lobster die and keep it on ice to... show more I heard that lobsters are dumped alive in big vats of boiling water to cook them fresh, and that they can be heard screaming or making some loud noise in reaction. Is it true?? It sounds barbaric and unnecessary to eat any living creature like this.
Why dont they just let the lobster die and keep it on ice to maintain its freshness? Why boil it alive??
Are customers aware of this? Are they ok with it? Isnt there some law that should prevent this? If you're not allowed to be inhumane to your pets then why to such creatures.
Update: I did see in the latest episode of Hell's Kitchen, the participants were dumping crabs and such into boiling vats of water. And some of those crabs were still moving their claws. And what about sharks that are reeled in, their fins cut off and their bleeding bodies dumped back in the sea for some tasty shark... show more I did see in the latest episode of Hell's Kitchen, the participants were dumping crabs and such into boiling vats of water. And some of those crabs were still moving their claws. And what about sharks that are reeled in, their fins cut off and their bleeding bodies dumped back in the sea for some tasty shark fin soup. Ever since I heard that one I stopped my hubby from ordering it in Chinese restaurants. Its ok if all of the shark was utilised but you can never tell if it was inhumanely butchered alive for fins.