Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

Neighborhood Watch ideas?

I'm the coordinator of a new Neighborhood Watch program in my community. Do any of you have successful ideas that can help a program like this? What works? What doesn't work? Have you had success with your N-Watch program?

Thanks in advance.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Congratulations on the task of coordinating a neighborhood watch.

A Neighborhood Watch helps build pride and serves as a springboard for efforts that address other community concerns.

Form a small planning committee. Decide on a date and place for an initial neighborhood meeting.

From there, contact your local law enforcement agency. Request that a crime prevention officer come to your meeting and discuss your community's problems and needs. Ask the officer to bring a list of local and national contacts that will assist you in organizing and maintaining your program.

After this, get organized.

Contact as many of your neighbors as possible and ask them if they would be willing to meet to organize a Neighborhood Watch group in your area.

Once your program is beginning to get under way, there are several concrete steps you should take to make the organization solid and successful:

Contact your local law enforcement agency for help in training members in home security and reporting skills, and for information on local crime patterns.

Select a Neighborhood Watch coordinator (all ready appointed) and block captains who are responsible for organizing meetings and relaying information to members.

Recruit new members, keep up-to-date on new residents, and make special efforts to involve the elderly, working parents, and young people.

Work with local government or law enforcement to put up highly visible Neighborhood Watch signs and decals. These alert criminals that community members will watch and report their activities-often, this is enough to discourage them.

I have helped set up several neighborhood watches.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to e-mail me from the link on my profile page.

Best of luck!

• Login to reply the answers
  • fin73
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

First of all you need to set up zones for example if you live in an allotment with eight streets name each street a different name such as zone 1,2,3. Make sure the police dept knows the zones so if you are calling in a report they will have a code name for your street. Most bad guys and gals carry scanners.

Do not make unnecessary calls to the police double parking is not a life treating crime.

Contact the police dept. and they will have an officer come to your meetings and give tips.

Find a local print shop that will print up stickers to put in your windows that say Member(your town) Neighborhood Policing.

• 1 decade ago

You need to contact the Community Relations Bureau and set up an appointment/meeting with an officer to talk with everyone who wants to be involved in this. They can explain what you can and cannot do and how best to protect yourselves while you are out.

I believe they might also provide you with radios or some form of equipment where you can contact the PD if help is needed (they did back home).

Source(s): 25 yrs at PD
  • 1 decade ago

I just tell everyone who I am and if they want to get involved they can--no obligation required..most people are concerned about the safety of their premises these days so they are all interested in knowing where they can get help when needed...just don't let them think that you are on call 24/7 have done that and phone don't stop ringing..talk to some of the other Captains.they should be able to help

Source(s): common sense
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

what works best besides from weekly/bi weekly meetings and such is actual casual foot patrols of neighborhood watch men...it also works best for them to check UN-suspecting areas.

• 1 decade ago

Go to this web site....

It is the gospel on what works.

And remember, none of it will work unless you get full community support and involvement.

Good luck and grats!

http://www.nnwi.org/

Source(s): 24 years on the job.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well regulated militia?

:D

Ill tell ya if u start doing military parades down ur streets, a criminal would be scared as hell lol

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Your N-Watch program? ROFL.

"LOOK JESSE I DUN SPOTTED ONE OF THEM COONS!"

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Neighborhood watches are stupid anyway. It's a bunch of suburbans who are paranoid of their house getting broken in to. Spend a few years living in the city, and you will realize you don't have it so bad.

The whole idea is to have everyone agree, if only half the people like an idea, it's not going to go too far. You can start by hanging some of those "This is a neighborhood watch area" signs, but don't expect that to deter any real criminals, maybe just a few punk kids.

Just doing nothing more than being alert and making sure your neighbors house is ok, and that they do the same, and you'll be fine.

And get a gun.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.