Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

is marcus davis just a little too old to be in the UFC?

yeah he can win but for how long? seems like hes just past his prime. im sure he's a fan favorite.. but i always wonder how he'd do against a big name. he'd probably be blown to shreads.

Favorite Answer

Randy's 43 and the Heavyweight champion. Chuck's goin on 40.

I don't think Marcus is a fan favorite. I pull for him because he's from Bangor, but I wouldn't pick him to win against most big name 170's. If you saw him yesterday, he seemed like a fan favorite because he was in Ireland and he's "The Irish Hand Grenade". Just like the Marines at Miromar booed him because he beat Shonie Carter.

I don't know if he's past his prime or hasn't reached it or is in it right now. He's a decent welterweight who can get a few more UFC wins in. He's not too old he's just not very good.

• Chris

You realize that Davis is only 34 years old right? He is younger then Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, Sean Sherk, all of whom are or have recently been champions. People said Randy was past his prime and too old and look what he did to a younger and bigger Tim Sylvia. Age is nothing, I think that skill is a lot more important and Davis looks very impressive so far, he knocked out Jason Tan very quickly, he had an impressive submission victory against Pete Spratt, he beat Shonie Carter by decision and holds another impressive submission victory over Forest Petz. He has shown he has a lot of abaility and I think he could hang with the big names.

I don't think it's a case of age. Randy Couture is a champ in his 40's. Marcus Davis was originally a boxer and is still working his ground game. He might have started in mma a little too late to get it up to speed, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.