My 13 lb sick cat won't eat or drink. How much of each do I have to force both into his mouth with a syring?

I have a 7 yr old, 13 1/2 lb. (indoor) red taby cat who stopped eating and drinking and got very lethargic 3 days ago. He's been to the vet. They examined him & did blood tests. Everything looked good exept a minor elevation in white blood count and a very slight fever. His belly was sensitive. They put him on... show more I have a 7 yr old, 13 1/2 lb. (indoor) red taby cat who stopped eating and drinking and got very lethargic 3 days ago. He's been to the vet. They examined him & did blood tests. Everything looked good exept a minor elevation in white blood count and a very slight fever. His belly was sensitive. They put him on antibiotics for intestinal bacteria. They gave us a high calorie canned food & told us to forcefeed him. They said he needs nearly 2 cups of water (including what's in the food) every 24 hours. They also said we need to get 1 to 1 1/2 (5 1/2oz) cans into him every day. I've been using a 3cc syring and can get 6cc of soupy food into him before he's completely 'fed up' with the process. I'd have to do that all day long to get 1 whole can into him & even more to equal 2 cups of water. Is this really necessary? I don't want to let him get dehydrated or anything else. But I also don't want to stress him out by forcefeeding too much or too often. Please help! Thanks.