Has anybody tried acupuncture to treat feline constipation?

My cat suffers from megacolon and the vet has prescribed many different treatment options. I've tried everything - some stuff works and others don't. Although laxatives work, I want to stop using harsh drugs like that.

Has anyone tried acupuncture or eastern medicine? I want to try a new alternative vet but the first visit costs $250. It's very expensive and I don't want to waste my money if it's a sham. If it does work, how often will the cat need further acupuncture treatments?

• Kayty
    Favorite Answer

One of my cats has congenital megacolon and I considered acupuncture for him. My vet (I now work at his vet hospital) said that sometimes it is effective and was open to the idea, but before I tried acupuncture I found another regimen that worked on my cat.

What worked for my cat was feeding him smooth mousse-like cat food such as Hills A/D or I/D (or Fancy Feast, truth to tell) plus daily Lactulose. Lactulose is an indigestible sugar used as a laxative. It is not a stimulant. It is a liguid -- I gave it to him daily or twice daily by mouth via a 5 cc syringe with the needle removed.

This worked well for about six years, then he was tested for Bartonella due to the condition of his mouth (chronic gingivitis) and found strongly positive for Bartonella. He got Azithromycin for two two-week sessions and the retest was negative for Bartonella.. Interestingly enough, at about that time his chronic constipation ended and he became normal and regular with his BMs.

The vet and I can't find any place in veterinary literature that makes any connection between Bartonella and megacolon, but it seems there was, for my cat. He is now 18 years old and doing very well. He was diagnosed with megacolon when he was nine but had been having symptoms for a couple of years before that...he has not had megacolon symptoms for the past three years.

Bartonella testing is done by one lab in New Jersey. A blood sample is mailed there and they fax the results back to your vet. It takes two or three weeks to get the results. At the vet hospital where I work the test costs $60. Each course of Azithromycin costs $45-$60 depending on the size of the cat.

If the Baronella doesn't clear completely after two courses of the antibiotic, the cat gets two more two-week courses. If that clears it, that is all there is to it. No more medication is needed.

(I see one answered suggested paraffin oil. That would cure megacolon, all right. Paraffin oil is a petroleum product and is poisonous.)

Source(s): Owner of an appartently recovered megacolon cat.

Cats are prone to all types of sicknesses and the best way to treat most of them is medicine like anti-bio-tics. However, acupuncture in some cases will help or even cure away disease. For constipation I would strongly recommended because of it's sophistication and the relief of stress.

http://www.ki-vet.com/

constipation is a very common these days if you want to get rid of constipation increase the amount of fibre in your body.

Give your cat about 10 ml or so of Parafin Oil every day