Need help with civil/environmental/ecological engineering career!?

I have both bachelor's and master's degrees in civil & environmental engineering with an emphasis in ecological engineering, and it's very early in my career. I currently work in an office environment (with occasional field work), but I really think an office is not where I'll be the happiest in my career in the long run. I need ideas for a creative career path. I get bored in an office, no matter how interesting the work may be. I am most efficient working independently, where I don't feel trapped in an office and have to socialize every five minutes. I like to be outside part of the time. I am also very good with computer software programs like CAD, MicroStation, ArcGIS, etc. I also get great joy out of seeing/helping people younger than me learning about math and engineering. Should I open my own business eventually, or maybe work towards being a professor? Or something else? Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!

Favorite Answer

You sound like most young engineers--not too interested in socializing, very interested in field work and technology. What a surprise! Those are the reasons many people study engineering. Unfortunately, many engineering firms expect many office hours and little field work.

You may have a good chance of succeeding in your own business, but as you've been trained, do your homework first. If the business you want to start will be doing engineering work, you should obtain your PE license first. The first few years of employment in engineering usually lay the foundation for successful careers. However, it does require the intern to learn the profession from an experienced hand. There is no substitute for working numerous real problems and projects with deadlines.

I hope these tips are beneficial to you. Good luck.