Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 decade ago

My parents are getting divorced! Help!!?

I'm 15 years old and i think my parents are getting divorced in the next few months... My mom tells me she is unhappy with my father now and she has fallen out of love. I feel like I'm the only person my age experiencing this!!! I also feel hard to talk to my younger sister about this and my close friends. Is it normal for teenagers my age to experience a divorce??

Favorite Answer

You wouldn't be the first by a long shot, hon. You are going to be okay. It takes a while to adjust, but your friends won't think of you any different (and if they do then they weren't real friends anyway). You need to remember that your mom deserves a chance at happiness and falling out of love happens a lot, it doesn't mean she didn't try or that she's just trying to ruin your life. I know it hurts like hell, but, ask your mom if you could go to a counselor, or just go in to school and talk to the school counselor. Those people can be your greatest advocates, BTW. Please don't isolate yourself, talk to your friends, let your little sister know you're just as scared as she is and give her a hug. You'll both need it, just ask your parents to at least be civil with each other. That's the least they can do for you.

My Parents Are Getting Divorced

My parents are divorced and hav been since I was 16 (im 20 now) Your mom sounds very sensitive and responsible, so I doubt that the divorce will be a huge mess.

As far as talking to your sister, express your concerns to your parents, and they can talk to her about it.

your mom and dad Might work things out, since no legal action has been taken. The most difficult thing about divorce is that you will probably live with only one of your parents, but you'll still see the other parent as often as you can.

Hopefully the parent that moves out, (IF they do get divorced) will move to a place nearby.

It's very normal for this kind of thing to happen.

And if your parents are happier when they are not married and just friends, then they can spend more time with you and your sister and be better parents.

take care

www.scarletteen.com

Divorce is not the end of the world... I know. My parents divorced when I was 16. It sucks, but there is nothing you can do about it.

Listen... I know this is not what you want to hear but marriage is not a life contract. It should be, in a perfect world, but it isn't. People get married and unmarried every single day. They fall out of love for many reasons. It has nothing to do with you.

You have to see your parents not only as your mom and dad, but as individual people too. People with needs, feelings and dreams. When my parents realized that their marriage was dead, they made a huge effort to try living as a normal family. It was horrible. Where I used to see them joke around and hug in the past, they now sat in a room, each in their own world, polite but with no emotion. It wears them down and it's not healthy for you or your little sister either. I know you find this hard to believe, but you will see things differently when you grow older.

You're 15 years old. believe me when I tell you that you have a lot of strength inside you that you are not even aware of. You need to reach inside you and find that strength now. You need to talk to your little sister. If you are confused at the age you are, can you imagine how she must be feeling? She needs you now. So does your mom and your dad.

You all need to be strong to work through this and you will. You're probably afraid of having to take sides between your parents. You don't have to. They will always be your mom and dad.

You MUST FIND SOMEONE TO TALK TO. Your friends will want to help but I'm afraid that being as young as they are, they might not give you the best advise. You need someone older that can really listen to your concerns.

I found a very good friend in our school counselor. She did not judge me. She listened to my fears which is what you need now. She also gave me some very good advise. Try and speak with your counselor.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I'm 15 years old and i think my parents are getting divorced in the next few months... My mom tells me she is unhappy with my father now and she has fallen out of love. I feel like I'm the only person my age experiencing this!!! I also feel hard to talk to my younger sister about this and...

Source(s): parents divorced help: https://shortly.im/aIwRO

I used to feel lucky that my parents did not get divorced when all my friends parents were going through it.

I was 15 when my parents got divorced. It was very hard for me and I completely disconnected from my two younger brothers.

Try not to fall into a destructive pattern like drugs and sex. It is important to find at least one person to talk to about what is going on. It may be a friend, a family member or even a friends parent.

You are not alone, there are hundreds, thousands of kids that go through it at the age you are.

I know how alone you feel, I hope for your sake that passes soon, but it may last for a while. I had no one to talk to or lean on so I started having sex and doing drugs. That was not the solution and it pretty much ruined my childhood as I got pregnant as a teen and I am not struggling hard to support my children and trying to go to community college.

You are young and can do great things like go to college and have a great future. Don't let your parents problems become yours. I know you may have alot of anger toward them, but they still love you and want the best for you even though it may feel like they are being selfish right now.

If they suggest therapy, do it. I know at your age it's hard to talk to anyone, but you will realize later in life that it may have helped you. Start fixing your life now, before you destroy it.

Remember your sister probably feels just as alone and scared as you do. Try your best to be there for her.

I'm 16 and my Mom has said that at times when she's been mad at my Dad. She might just be trying to blow off steam. But if it does end in a divorce, believe me when I say yes, it's normal for teens to have to go through that situation. Believe me...your not the only one who deals with parents saying things like that. I hear it a lot and my parents have been married for almost 20 years. Hope things get better for you.

• Jenn

It's never normal for anything, first off.

A divorce is a bad place to be, and I am sorry for that. You must know it's not your fault. It's to bad your mom told you what she did. You are a kid and have no business being in the middle of their adult marriage and situation. They should not talk to you about the other if it is going to be bad mouthing. That has nothing to do with you, and I think you should tell her next time that this is not for you to hear but for your father too know. they need to talk it out and work it out.

Source(s): married long time with kids

You are so normal it is boring, I am definitily trying to notundermine this situatuion,howerver divorce is the norm unfortunately. Sometime you need to suck it up for a bit and let Mom and Dad get there goals set for you and your siblings. Remeber these fights are never about you, they are about them and there place in your world. I suggest that you take a back seat approach and let them fight it out. Do not get involved or take side. The important part is building a relationship with your family, that has no out interferece or pressures. This way you that it was done correctly and there will be no regerets.

I was 6 when my parents got divorced and my brother was nine. It really isn't bad and you get used to having 2 houses after a while.

• vanessa5 years agoReport

It's a lot harder the older you are at the age of six I bet you don't remember much of it :/