How difficult is a Juris Doctorate to obtain?

I'm going into my third year of undergrad work and looking to attend law school after I finish music school. How difficult a time should I prepare for during law school?

Favorite Answer

Hooooo boy-o-boy! Get a copy of an old sample copy of the LSAT [many uni libraries have these] and see just how much they're asking you to know even before you're admitted to set foot into a law school classroom. Then, preparez-vous for Hard Work On A Daily Basis once you get there. If your verbal & writing skills are first class, if you have no problem expressing yourself viva voce [i.e., neither flop-sweat nor stage fright when called upon to think fast out loud] and if you don't mind studying 5-7 hrs a day AFTER class [hint: get in a good study group] then you're probably fit for the fray. Getting a Juris D. is a great swot and a greater battle--but there's gravy at the end of the rainbow, to say nothing of a pot of gold! Stay strong in the meantime. p.s., the fancier the reputation of any given law school, the greater the competition for even being acknowledged as a humanoid in the sacred groves.

The answer to your question is much more simpler than other answers you have received. Unlike other degrees, a J.D. is not necessarily about how smart you but rather how disciplined and how good you are at time management. Trust me, there are a lot of dumb lawyers out there:).

The LSAT does not even test what you will learn in law school, it's just an admissions test to filter out people who do not want to spend the time to prepare. If you want to be a lawyer, and it is a profession that you feel you can excell at, go to law school and you'll do fine.

I've written more about how to get into law school and prepare for the LSAT at my website, see the link below.

• Cathy

It's difficult, but not impossible. Be prepared to do a lot of reading, of course, and be aware that the course structure and general environment of law schools is very different from undergrad. Also, put a *lot* of care into researching schools. Schools have widely varying reputations, both in terms of prestige and in school environment.