Edward L asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

plane crashes...?

what is the possiblilty of a plane crash?

Can you survive one?

What would you do if the plane is gonna crash?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The chances of a commercial plane crashing are very low

"Your chances of being involved in an aircraft accident (accident not death) are about 1 in 11 million. On the other hand, your chances of being killed in an automobile accident are 1 in 5000. Statistically, you are at far greater risk driving to the airport than getting on an airplane. However, the perception is that you have more control over your fate when you are in your car than as a passenger traveling on an airplane. Experience shows otherwise, considering that over 50,000 people are killed on the highways every year"

"Media coverage would suggest that airline crashes happen every day. Studies have shown one would have to fly once a day every day for over 15,000 years in order to statistically be involved in an aircraft accident! Yet stories of aircraft accidents are between 150 to 200 times more likely to receive front-page coverage than other more common causes of death."

Commercial air travel especially in the United States is very very safe. There has not been a major airline crash in the United States since November 2001. Flying is extremely safe.

Also many plane crashes are survivable. And some are not. The ones where the plane is out of control diving at 10,000ft per minute at 600mph are not survivable. But many crashes on takeoff and landing are survivable. A few years ago a fully loaded Air France A340 crashed on landing in Toronto and the plane caught on fire but all 300+ people escaped and most only had minor injuries.

Here is a tip to do before you fly. Once you sit in your seat count how many rows away you are from the nearest emergency exits behind and in front of you. This is very important because at night or in fire even the emergency escape lights wont do much good. Also always where your seatbelt, get into the emergency brace position. Also the safest seat on a plane is right where the wing is, the wing is the strongest part of the plane. In the Crash of American flight 965 from Miami to Cali 4 people survived a crash which experts called un-survivable, all four of those people where sitting over the wings in the centre of the plane.

But again planes are meant to fly not crash unlike cars. You can tell the difference in safety between cars and planes with one simple thing, every new plane does not go through many crash test, cars do.

More people have died in the last year on the motorways of North America than the number of people who have died in the whole 104 year history of Powered Flight Aviation.

Source(s): Private Pilot/ Aviation fan
  • 1 decade ago

Awww... sounds like someone is afraid to fly... (I could be wrong...) but, that's what I asked when I found out I had to fly. No one gave me an exact answer, but you are more likely to die in a car accident than a plane crash. They have made incredible improvements in the safety, design and handling.

People survive plane crashes all the time. It depends a lot on the situation. How far up you are, what you crash into, how fast you can get out, how close you are to help... blah blah blah...

If the plane is going to crash and you KNOW it... try to remain calm, and follow all the directions given by the crew and do it fast. They have been trained for just such an emergency. They know what they are doing.

You should be fine. Don't worry about it and enjoy your flight...

• hey im scared of flying to and i havent even been on a plane yet...but ya its possible to survive a plane crash...just have ur cell phone with u but keep it turned off on a plane dont ask y its just wat i heard is to keep ur phone turn off on a plane ride ....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.