Could someone explain "creationism" and 'Intelligent Design"? Why some Christians believe in it?

I keep hearing these terms - what I find unbelievable about it is that they say, the Earth and the entire Universe was born only 6000 years ago (fossil knowledge is a farce); isn't this a bit loony considering we have so much scientific evidence to the contrary. How do you explain dinosaurs? Do any colleges... show more I keep hearing these terms - what I find unbelievable about it is that they say, the Earth and the entire Universe was born only 6000 years ago (fossil knowledge is a farce); isn't this a bit loony considering we have so much scientific evidence to the contrary. How do you explain dinosaurs?

Do any colleges in the US compulsarily teach this subject? What if a student doesn't want to study?