I have 2001 voltswagon passat i was wondering if stp octane booster is really good for the car?

i been trying to find way to improve my gas millege

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The octane rating is a formula designed to show a fuels resistance to "Knock".

It has nothing to do with mileage. If your car "knocks" under acceleration, or "runs on" after shut off, you may need higher octane fuel.

Some engines in the early days of pollution controls had these problems, but modern, computerized fuel injected engines dont usually have these problems.

The exceptions are very high performance engines, like Ferrarri, Porsche, Corvette etc. these engines may need high octane fuel, though probably premium right from the pump is enough.

Sometimes an engine will benefit from premium fuel, but that just means it was Knocking (pre ignition) thus losing power and the higher octane rating helped that, and possible the fuel mileage as well, due to the driver using less gas pedal to achieve the same performance.

Generally speaking, it would be cheaper to use premium fuel rather than put in octane boost every fill up.

But I'm guessing you couldnt tell the difference in performance or gas mileage either way.

P.S. All grades of fuel are delivered in the same pipeline without any physical barrier between them, so, what are you really paying for?

• 4 years ago

Wouldn't it just be easier to use a higher octane at the pump? Try using 89 or higher octane next time you get gas...You might have to actually fill up a few times to notice the difference since the 87 is still in your tank...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

not really. the bottle will say stuff like "increase octane by 10 points!" which is really less than 1%. And its like 5 bucks a bottle. your better off just getting premium.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.