Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Is the german spoken in switzerland very different from the german in germany??

i am from bonn,germany and will be moving to switzerland soon.i'm very concerned about the dialects matter (and also would like to keep my german accent,i'm afarid that won't be possible as i pick up easily)

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, in Switzerland there are many different dialects of the german language.

In fact when you move to different regions in Switzerland, you'll find an other dialect of german. Bern, Basel, St.Gallen, Zürich are all different.

Go to the middle of the reference page indicated hereafter, there you can listen live radiostations from Switzerland in different languages.

But you can find it easier on this page:

http://www.fayaman.com/radio.html

- In fact if you speek your german (german of Germany) - that is ok in swiss german areas, they call it "Hochdeutsch" (high german") and also when french speaking swiss people talk to them in german, the dialogue will be in Hochdeutsch (so, your german) unless the french speaker can talk to them in that particular dialect...

The written language is more in Hochdeutsch than in the local dialect. But, more and more there are publications and newspapers writing in the local dialect.

SO - I don't think you will lose your german, at least you learn some dialect also...

Source(s): search for (go down to) this line: "Esperanto: Auskultu svisajn radiostaciojn en la 4 oficialaj lingvoj de Svislando:" http://www.kontakto.info/lingvoj.html
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It'll probably be quite different, especially when spoken. I know people who moved to Switzerland for a job and actually took a course in Swiss German to help them interact with their colleagues in day to day matters. One thing is picking up the new vocabulary, another on eis getting an ear for the melody of the language and unerstanding it at the - sometimes considerable - speed at which it is spoken.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, it's different, but you'll have no problems communicating with anybody.

As for your German accent, if you pick up easily, probably you'll loose some of it with time, but it depends on how old you are. If you are very young, you'll loose it quickly, if you are older, you'll keep it.

Why don't you take a trip there before you move and see for yourself? It's not that far from you.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

High German is spoken in schools even though dialects are for every-day use so they should be able to understand you and you understand them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

yes, very different but everybody will understand you there as alll children learn German in shcool

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.